Would like more info re where my rights are located

I have a few questions:

How do I find out where in Divide County my townships/sections are located? Is there any kind of map online I can reference? I have the pertinent numbers, just don't know how to use the info to find the location.

Is there a way to find out who owns the surface land? I assume some distant relative owns it but I'm not certain. I've searched the internet but Divide County doesn't seem to have many public records online. I'm in California so a trip to the county courthouse isn't likely.

Divide County ND begins in the NE corner of the county with Township 163N Range 95W. There is a "tiny" part of 164N, but it is very small (most of it lies outside the county to the north.) As you may know, a township is a six mile square area, and contains 36 one mile square sections within.

The townships get lower as you go straight south from the above location (i.e. 162N, 161N etc, and the furthest south in the county is 160N.

The ranges likewise have larger numbers as you move west. For example, the township and range directly east of 163N 95W is 163N 96W and so on as you go west, 97W, 98W etc. until at the westernmost part of the county you'll come to 103W. You might try drawing out a "grid" on some graph paper or a spreadsheet for a more visual representation of this.

Divide County is basically four townships "tall" and about nine townships "wide." Since each township consists of 6 square miles, Divide County is about 24 miles from north to south, and about 54 miles from east to west.

The tax assessor in Divide County would have records of who is paying the taxes on the surface currently. If you have the legal description (section, township, range and which "tract" or part of the section the subject land is located in) they may just tell you over the phone. I'm not sure if they're allowed to or not, but the assessor's office is who you could try first.

Another alternative would be to hire a "landman" to go look for you. The county clerk's office in Divide County could perhaps recommend one. There are plenty of landmen up there right now, but most are pretty busy. You might try the landman discussion forum on THIS web site also, as there may be someone on there who could help you.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. Scott CMM RPL
Timbercreek Mineral Company, LLC
http://www.mineralhub.com

Hi Tammy, my name is Jason. I represent landowners with gravel resources. If you like, just send me the section, township, range description and I will email you a Google Earth image with the area marked. jason@wsgnd.com

PLEASE FOLKS!! I understand the excitement of your possible windfall of “found money” and I realize all the freedoms and possibilities that may be provided to you by these, but before you make YOUR decision please watch the documentary “Gas Land”…… Thank You

Steve,

Quit drinking the kool-aid and stop trying to sell it here. Gasland is a load of BS and if you believe that crap you might as well assume Oliver Stone is a historian and not a film maker. The facts in Gasland have been completely refuted by several government organizations. See here for the response from the COGCC:

http://cogcc.state.co.us/library/GASLAND%20DOC.pdf

If you want to sell that hippie propaganda, I suggest you grab your banjo and hop in a VW bus en route to San Fran. The people here are hard working Americans that want to see their energy produced, purchased and used from and in the USA. Isn't that better than giving it to the America hating countries to the east?

If anyone is concerned about their water, add a water well testing provision to your lease. If you don't trust the operator, call the COGCC. They will test it for you for free. Yes...free!

In closing, I would like to say God bless the USA which is the ONLY country in the world that minerals can be owned by private everyday Joes like you and me. That's a fact.

Steve said:
PLEASE FOLKS!! I understand the excitement of your possible windfall of "found money" and I realize all the freedoms and possibilities that may be provided to you by these, but before you make YOUR decision please watch the documentary "Gas Land"..…
Thank You

when you find the BAD results of water testing,, IT"S ALREADY TO LATE....

I will now enjoy my "kool-aid"

Phase Dos said:

Steve,

Quit drinking the kool-aid and stop trying to sell it here. Gasland is a load of BS and if you believe that crap you might as well assume Oliver Stone is a historian and not a film maker. The facts in Gasland have been completely refuted by several government organizations. See here for the response from the COGCC:

http://cogcc.state.co.us/library/GASLAND%20DOC.pdf

If you want to sell that hippie propaganda, I suggest you grab your banjo and hop in a VW bus en route to San Fran. The people here are hard working Americans that want to see their energy produced, purchased and used from and in the USA. Isn't that better than giving it to the America hating countries to the east?

If anyone is concerned about their water, add a water well testing provision to your lease. If you don't trust the operator, call the COGCC. They will test it for you for free. Yes...free!

In closing, I would like to say God bless the USA which is the ONLY country in the world that minerals can be owned by private everyday Joes like you and me. That's a fact.

Steve said:
PLEASE FOLKS!! I understand the excitement of your possible windfall of "found money" and I realize all the freedoms and possibilities that may be provided to you by these, but before you make YOUR decision please watch the documentary "Gas Land"..…
Thank You

http://topomaps.usgs.gov/ has maps that can be ordered, and downloaded. Printing your own downloaded map is not a good option, but viewing on your computer is fine. It is a messy site in my opinion but the stuff is there. I got myself a 1:100 000 scale map (Crosby, 30x60 minute quadrangle) most of Divide cnty (western part, cuts off at Noonan). I find it VERY useful.

The public records are not online. They are in the court house in a small room (very small). (and in the basement) There are people who search this stuff on a full time basis , and after a couple of hours, you will be inclined to hire one.

Tammy,

I may be able to help. I've sent you a message on this forum but am told you have to "friend me" before we can communciate in that manner. I work about 3 blocks from where I can obtain Divide County Maps and just may have some at home depending on what you're looking for. A legal description would be helpful.