Wolfberry Play - Permian Basin archives

The Wolfberry is a combination play of Wolfcamp Shale (interbedded shale and sandstone) and Spraberry Sandstone with shale/mudstone and limestone intervals.  Since other plays (formation specific) have been more prominent both above and below the Wolfberry - the Wolfberry Play is used to describe the Play in total (all potential and known producing formations).

Wolfberry Trend - Permian Basin Petroleum Association Write-up

FYI

Ralpr

Schlumberger technical paper on Atoka Shale sand proppant solutions

FYI - This makes production from the Atoka Shale more feasible. It has implications for other shale formations as well.

Bureau of Economic Geology University of Texas Project STARR - Wolfberry Info.

A must read.

Ralpr

The Wolfberry Play is a resource play characterized by heterogeneous lithologies, low permeabilities, and reservoirs and source rocks in close proximity. The paleogeographic setting was a deep ocean basin surrounded by shallow carbonate platforms. Basin-floor stratigraphy comprises alternating layers of calcareous and siliciclastic lithofacies having widespread continuity. In siliciclastic intervals, such as the Spraberry and Dean, turbidite sandstones and laminated siltstones are interbedded with organic-rich mudrock. In calcareous intervals, such as the lower Leonard and the Wolfcamp, carbonate debris flows are interbedded with carbonate turbidites and organic-rich calcareous mudrocks. Although coarser-grained turbidites and debris flows are the obvious reservoirs, finer-grained calcareous facies are also productive after fracture stimulation.

051612 Approach Resources Presentation by Executive Vice-President Dr. Yang

This is a nice presentation on their Wolfcamp Acreage in the Southern Midland Basin. The comparison of it with other Plays is very exciting.

Regards,

Ralpr

Seeking Alpha.com Range Resources' CEO discusses Q1 2012 Results

Excellent must read article discussing the large potential of the Wolfberry and other stacked plays. Check out the Q&A segment for more color, too.

Regards,

Ralpr

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/enhanced-oil-resources-inc-announces-initiation-of-lateral-drilling-program-2012-06-20-12183220

Lateral wells with potential 20-Ac spacing for CO2 floods? Interesting.

Regards,

Ralpr

DOE sees vast energy resource in residual oil zones (ROZ)

Excellent article by the OGJ Editors!

Regards,

Ralpr

07/27/2012

Apache - Midland Basin Wolfcamp Shale Drilling Economics

Apache Corporation (APA) disclosed for investors and shareholders the economics of drilling and completing horizontal oil and gas wells into the Wolfcamp Shale in the Midland Basin area of the Permian Basin.

Apache estimates that horizontal wells drilled and completed into the Wolfcamp Shale will cost an average of $7.7 million and have an estimated ultimate recovery (EUR) of 598,000 barrels of oil equivalent (BOE).

Apache estimates that 91% of the production from these wells will be crude oil or other liquid hydrocarbons and yield and return 44%. The company estimates that it has 971 drilling locations in the Wolfcamp Shale in the Midland Basin.

Apache has spud seven horizontal wells to date into the Wolfcamp Shale and is operating three rigs in Irion County, Texas, as of June 2012.

Pioneer Natural Resource's Q2 Results - FYI

Joy,

Ralpr

It appears that Chesapeake Energy may have sold their producing interests in the Midland Basin to EnerVest.

"During the 2012 third quarter, Chesapeake expects to enter into agreements to sell three Permian Basin asset packages. A Purchase and Sale Agreement (PSA) has been signed with affiliates of Houston-based EnerVest, Ltd. for the company’s producing assets in the Midland Basin portion of the Permian Basin. Bids have also been received and accepted on two other packages in the Delaware Basin portion of the Permian Basin. Chesapeake is currently negotiating PSAs for the two Delaware Basin packages with the goal of entering into PSAs in the next 30 days and closing the transactions in the 2012 third quarter. Negotiations for the sale of substantially all of Chesapeake’s remaining midstream assets are also underway with GIP, which has an exclusive offer right until August 13, 2012. Chesapeake also expects to close various other asset sales during the 2012 third quarter."
A Form 8-K regarding Chesapeake Energy has been filed with the United States Securities and Exchange Commission.
To View the filing please click here

If you are unable to click on the link above, please copy and paste the URL below into a web browser
http://www.chk.com/Investors/Pages/SEC.aspx

2B1st Consulting article about the $1.4B deal with Devon Energy and Sumitomo

FYI

Ralpr

CHK not selling Non-producing assets in Midland Basin yet

FYI - The deal with EnerVest is only for producing assets, not Non-producing assets in the Midland Basin. CHK is still mulling their options - which may include partnering up, producing solely, or selling outright. Given their history and strong desire for oil assets - I'd opine that they would co-partner on Non-producing properties in the Midland Basin. Their history would certainly tilt the scales that way it seems.

Regards,

Ralpr

Ralpr i know for a fact of two packages of leases that CHK leased totaling around 31,000 ac. in Borden County in the last year or so, I wish they would start drilling the area!!!

Richard, That's good to know stuff. Which part of Borden County? Do you think it is smack dab on the Horseshoe Atoll perhaps?

Regards,

Ralpr

iPhone

Ralpr I am from Oklahoma and have no idea what the Horsedhoe Atoll is. the packages are 12 miles South and Southeast of Gail. If you go over and read the comment wall on the Borden County forum it lists both of the packages in discussion. I have 1/768 of 17,141 ac of one of those packages.

Ralpr, the other part of the acreage Richard is talking about starts 10 miles slightly southwest of Gail and heads south, a block of about 18,000 acres, so the total that Richard is referring to is more like 35k acres. Chesapeake applied for a permit to drill in Section 10 back in March, haven't seen anything since then, right before they announced plans to dispose of the Permian assets. I'm guessing we'll be waiting awhile longer. This area is slightly southeast of the center point of the county.

Gleen i never found out anymore on the long hoizontal that Chesepeake was drilloing last August,033-32156 or 033-32165. According to a friend of mine the drilling log just stopped after they made the turn into the lateral. might have finished it just waiting for fracture. Glenn have you heard of anything else3 happening in our area or close bye.

Nothing, Richard. There were a couple of intent to drills immediately to the northwest of the northern portion of our piece, and then I saw a W2 for Chesapeake's Muleshoe well just a couple of sections over from the southwest side of our piece, which flowed 50 barrels/day. I'm just assuming ours and yours to be the non-producing piece of Chesapeake's that Enervest is NOT buying, and will be kept for future sale or partnering. BTW, you can look up the Horseshoe Atoll on the U.S. Geological Survey. Our acreage is practically on the beach of the lagoon of the atoll, dead center of the overall atoll. Interesting reading if you're a scientist I"m sure.