Williams County, T157N, R101W, S 2: Lots 3, 4, S1/2 NW 1/4, SE 1/4

My brother and I have inherited mineral rights for township 157 north, range 101 west, section 2: lots 3, 4, S1/2 NW1/4, SE 1/4.

We would like to know if there is any information that might indicate whether there is any drilling activity nearby or if there is any proposed drilling on this tract of land.

Thank you in advance for any information that might be available.

Gene

Gene, you already have a well, producing since May of 2012, name of STROMME FAMILY TRUST 157-101-11C-2-1H. 53,548 barrels oil as of September. While not the worst, I would call this a bread and butter well, meaning it will pay out but not quickly for the operator and not provide fantastic royalty for a lessor. I would not count on more wells drilled anytime soon although I believe that one or more will be drilled in the future, I'm sure the operator is in no hurry to do so. HRC OPERATING, LLC is the operator, that means HESS. I do not believe that this well would put you in a strong bargaining position if the acres are unleased at the present time. Good luck.

Thank you for your reply. I am aware of the Stromme well which if I am correct, was drilled on another tract but does partially run across part of our tract. As far as I know there has been no drilling on our tract. I agree, the results of the Stromme well have been less than optimal. Thanks again for your help.

r w kennedy said:

Gene, you already have a well, producing since May of 2012, name of STROMME FAMILY TRUST 157-101-11C-2-1H. 53,548 barrels oil as of September. While not the worst, I would call this a bread and butter well, meaning it will pay out but not quickly for the operator and not provide fantastic royalty for a lessor. I would not count on more wells drilled anytime soon although I believe that one or more will be drilled in the future, I'm sure the operator is in no hurry to do so. HRC OPERATING, LLC is the operator, that means HESS. I do not believe that this well would put you in a strong bargaining position if the acres are unleased at the present time. Good luck.

Gene, it's called offsite drilling. Although the well was drilled from section 14 nobody in section 14 will receive royalty from it. Those in sections 11 and 2 will receive royalty from that well.

Gene,

Based on RW's research and comments, with which I agree, and if you and your brother think you have 10 net mineral acres combined, it will be a good investment to document and prove your ownership. You will probably find that the operator "can't find you" is" waiting for certain small mineral owners to find out they have a piece of a well", have your minerals force pooled or think your acreage is Held By Production and will get to you when they have the time. Efforts you make today will eventually benefit your heirs. the question is cost effectiveness.

Geologically, you are not in the current development "fairway" but I'm confident that the Bakken Shale zones are present and the operator has proof of that. It is not if the Bakken will be developed but when. The Three Forks is thinning to the west and I see no indications of structures in your immediate area that would allow oil migration away from the shale sources.

I believe HRC Operating, LLC is Halcon, not Hess...?

r w kennedy said:

I don't see why you couldn't count on new wells being drilled on your tract as they are drilling secondary wells in both adjacent sections E/W of you and all around you.

That is good news. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for the info.

My error on the HRC. I'm afraid I would have to disagree with Mr. Metz to some extent, you do not have multiwell units to either side, the 3-10 unit is one well and another permitted and not yet spud. Permits are almost meaningless. I will stand by my don't hold your breath suggestion. I also said that I thought that one or more may be drilled in the future, I just wouldn't count on it being soon. Possibly, part of what I said was misread. Let me know in about 2 years and if I am wrong I will eat my words.

Wow what a guy, I am not here to argue. I can see that HRC has the Miller 1-1H already producing in the adjacent section East of you and I guess Mr. kennedy couldn't see but there is a rig on location, right now, drilling the 1-4H and it is in the adjacent section, that would be 2 wells and HRC also has permitted the 1-2H and 1-3H which they probably intend to drill from the same location or well pad drilling one right after the other. HRC also has another rig drilling what looks like muti-wells about 2 miles away from that. He said "I would not count on more wells drilled anytime soon", maybe they should have consulted with Mr. kennedy first though to make certain they are not making a mistake by drilling multi units.

Permits are not meaningless and most will get a well soon, that is why the company filed for a permit, duh. A lot may expire and then they get another before they finally get a rig in to drill. Mr. kennedy must be a consultant, geologist, operate his own oil company, something specialized in the field to make such bold statements.

Wow, there is a unit being drilled for multiwells east of Mr. Hamann (which I did see), that does not equate to E/W of you, nor all around you. Nor do I put great stock in permits having watched them be renewed, cancelled, location changed and changed again over a period of years with no drilling occuring. I could reasonably say that because there are such a wealth of spacings with only one well that that alone would decrease the chance of you being near the head of the line. I never said you would not get more wells, just that in my opinion you would not see them soon. If permits mattered as some say, and you were getting more wells soon, then where is your permit? Sorry I twisted anyone's tail, but you are not surrounded by multiwell units, you do not have multiwell units to the immediate West of you, only the East. These are facts. The drilling of these multiwell units is geology driven and it can vary from one spacing to the next, they pick and choose. I guess we will know who is right in a year or two. Good luck.