Will Driller Tell Me When They Hit Oil? - Dickinson, ND

I signed a lease for a half section just outside of Dickinson, ND. Two questions-

There is currently a well on the other half of my section. Since the oil under the land is not partitioned, what it to prevent that well from just taking the oil under my land, or even horizontal drilling under it?
How honest are the drillers? Should I go back there and check out what is going on?
I signed the lease about 3 months ago- they asked for it earlier but there were some inheritance issues that had to be settled. So far no word from anyone.

Go to www.dmr.nd.gov for the North Dakota Industrial Commission website. Here you can find most information about active wells in North Dakota. You can find any active permits to drill as well as activity on you T-R-S. Oil and Gas production in North Dakota is strictly regulated by the NDIC. Should there be any actual drilling, there’s a good chance the well status is listed as “confidential”. Wells can be on confidential status up to 6 months after the release of the completions rig, but it’s useually a good sign somethings happening.

Don’t expect any communication from the driller. They operate in complete secrecy. You may receive a phone call when they begin drilling…don’t hold your breath.

If a driller is dishonest, even a surface inspection won’t reveal their stealing minerals from under your section. You have to rely on their performance in the past and their integrity as a driller (not just some independent wildcat operator without references).

Thanks John, that is just what I was looking for. I see there was a dry hole drilled back in 1985- do you think that would affect whether they drill again?

John Burman said:

Go to www.dmr.nd.gov for the North Dakota Industrial Commission website. Here you can find most information about active wells in North Dakota. You can find any active permits to drill as well as activity on you T-R-S. Oil and Gas production in North Dakota is strictly regulated by the NDIC. Should there be any actual drilling, there’s a good chance the well status is listed as “confidential”. Wells can be on confidential status up to 6 months after the release of the completions rig, but it’s useually a good sign somethings happening.

Interesting- so I should check out the driller on the wells on each side of my half section. Of course I have no control over who those property owners have signed contracts with. Does this happen often? Maybe I will go back and take a look.

Thomas Mullins said:

Don’t expect any communication from the driller. They operate in complete secrecy. You may receive a phone call when they begin drilling…don’t hold your breath.

If a driller is dishonest, even a surface inspection won’t reveal their stealing minerals from under your section. You have to rely on their performance in the past and their integrity as a driller (not just some independent wildcat operator without references).

mary Gress said:

Interesting- so I should check out the driller on the wells on each side of my half section. Of course I have no control over who those property owners have signed contracts with. Does this happen often? Maybe I will go back and take a look.

Thomas Mullins said:

Yes…human nature and greed are always with us…research the drillers and look at their web sites…check their references and ask other mineral owners of their experience…you can’t be to careful or do too much research…

mary Gress said:

Thomas Mullins said:

We had what must have been a fairly worthless well drilled in our section decades ago (abandoned and capped very quickly), but now with new drilling techniques, we are a hot commodity again.

mary Gress said:

Thanks John, that is just what I was looking for. I see there was a dry hole drilled back in 1985- do you think that would affect whether they drill again?

John Burman said:

Does anyone know of any groups of mineral rights owners that might have a meeting where newbies could go to learn a little about this? It would probably do me more good than going to North Dakota and wandering around.