Why does Samson Resources in Divide County ND make application for two wells within 50 feet of each other?

Don’t know if anyone knows the answer to this. I have mineral rights near these wells (234 acres, net of 22 acres). Seems like only Samson Resouces is doing this.

Each well will probably be targeting different formations. Drilling two wells, one right after the other saves time saves transportation costs, as does 2 wells sharing the same pad, road, pipeline and probably many other things. I have 3 wells (3rd is drilling now, with a 4th to come) that are so close they are 1 dot on the gis server map.

They are attempting to minimize their costs by most likely using the same pad for the drilling of two wells. Oasis has been actively doing this in Williams County and it saves them nearly $500,000 per well.

Jack,

Both of the answers given may be correct. I don't follow Divide Co but elsewhere EOG, Continental and others are doing this as a way to drill into two of their adjacent 1280 ac drilling units.

They drill well # 1 going north, then move a few feet over and drill well # 2 going south. In other words if they are doing this at the south end of Section 12 (or it could be the north end of Section 13), well #1 is drilled under Section 12 and on under Section 1. Then well #2 is drilled under Section 13 and on into Section 24.

Both wells are still targeting the same Bakken formation, though each targets a different 1,280 acres. This does minimize the cost by allowing one drill site to serve for two wells, and it saves on later expense when they are maintaining, or servicing the two adjacent wells in the future.

Don't know how Samson does it, but the EOG well names provide your clues; Well #1 might be called "Johnson 12-1H", and well #2 might be "Johnson 12-24H"... ie... each well was drilled on Section 12, but the first one ends beneath Sec. 1, while the second wells ends up under Sec. 24. With the "H" after the numbers telling you it was a horizontal under those sections. Hope that was clear.

Thanks so much. Both wells have differnet names and end with a H. Great news.

Eastern MT said:

Jack,

Both of the answers given may be correct. I don't follow Divide Co but elsewhere EOG, Continental and others are doing this as a way to drill into two of their adjacent 1280 ac drilling units.

They drill well # 1 going north, then move a few feet over and drill well # 2 going south. In other words if they are doing this at the south end of Section 12 (or it could be the north end of Section 13), well #1 is drilled under Section 12 and on under Section 1. Then well #2 is drilled under Section 13 and on into Section 24.

Both wells are still targeting the same Bakken formation, though each targets a different 1,280 acres. This does minimize the cost by allowing one drill site to serve for two wells, and it saves on later expense when they are maintaining, or servicing the two adjacent wells in the future.

Don't know how Samson does it, but the EOG well names provide your clues; Well #1 might be called "Johnson 12-1H", and well #2 might be "Johnson 12-24H"... ie... each well was drilled on Section 12, but the first one ends beneath Sec. 1, while the second wells ends up under Sec. 24. With the "H" after the numbers telling you it was a horizontal under those sections. Hope that was clear.

My late husband’s family owns 770 acres (as well as the mineral rights) in Sheridan County, Montana. I believe the farm is located between Reserve MT and Plentywood. We’ve been approached by a leasing company whose drilling client is interested in drilling on the property. Since I am an East Coast girl and know every little about oil drilling, would this area be considered part of the Bakken Formation? Is there a chance this could be a productive oil drilling area. So far there aren’t any active wells in the area - only a few older ones that have been capped. Any information about this location would be helpful. Thanks.

We were notified by Whiting Oil & Gas that a permit for drilling is being submitted for an area near there (could be the same as yours). This is in the area of T31N 56E. There is also another forum where Charles Mallory seems to be very well informed. Good luck with finding information.

Can someone tell me where to look online to find out if a permit for drillingwas granted in Montana. There was a hearing today but I could not find any results. The mineral rights are in Sheridan County and leased by Whiting.

Thank you.

Once an order is issued in MT, you SHOULD be able to find it here http://bogc.dnrc.mt.gov/bboardorders.asp