Who has the lease papers on wells i inherited royalties from?

i have inherited royalties, i first got a check from triad hunterlltand they filed bankruptcy with several other companies. how do i find anything about the people who send these royalties after they have been passed through 4 0r 5 different handlers (they say) and the check still had triad hunter on it.

did you get paid? do you have a foundation to question the amount? thats about all the rights to a minerals payment you have. if someone can inform me im in error, please do so.

i was getting checks from triad hunter then they have went through 3 other companies that is supposed to handle the payments but the checks came from triad hunter now after the last change no checks. i inherited this from my dads side of the family and his uncle used to handle it but he passed away and family will give me no information

and yet youve not gone to the CH? you do know free legal advice is just that, right? i could just about bet you Diversified Gas & Oil is now the operator of record. try picking up over 55,000 wells inside of three years and tell me exactly how smooth your outfit is running. why the lack of pertinent info?

The original lease should be filed in the county courthouse. If you have the address of the last company, contact them. On some division orders, they will not pay until the amount reaches $100. You can change that amount down to $25 so you get more regular checks. When companies buy other companies out, it can take a while to get the paperwork straightened out.

So first I want to say the lease is not necessarily recorded in the courthouse, it is most likely only a Memorandum of Lease which is next to worthless.

If the well is a newer well that is a horizontal well, it likely won’t be Diversified who owns it. The most common reason I find that checks stop coming is when the well changes ownership and the new owner is doing due dilligence on the title, they find problems and put everything in suspense. It is basically on you at that point to contact them and provide proof of ownership.

If I were you I would use information from one of the old check stubs to get the well name or API number and then use the DEP website to find the well. There you can view reported production and find the current owner and contact them to ask why you are not recieving a check.

1 Like

I thank you for the info i have the well numbers what does dep stand for?

West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection. Go to their website. Click on “Office of Oil and Gas.” Then click on “Database and Map Information.” From this point you have many options of obtaining well information, but you will need the coordinates of your parcel. You can look at 2011 aerial photography and increase magnification such that you can see all the roads, drill pads and well sites on your parcel. All of the oil and gas production data will be available for you to review for probably the last 4 to 5 years or more, for each well in the area. The map will also tell you whether the well(s) are vertical or horizontal wells.

I would like to add that even though “the original lease should be filed in the county courthouse,” but is most likely not filed, and a “Memorandum of Oil and Gas Lease” is filed there instead, the typical amount withheld (proposed on a lease) from royalty payments until it reaches a certain level is closer to $50 than $100, as I have very recently seen in two contracts from two different companies in Wetzel County. Changing it down to $25 doesn’t sound like a deal breaker, but you can request whatever you want in your Addendum, and perhaps request more than you expect to get. There will certainly be a lot more important provisions to be concerned about in your lease that you would want to add in your Addendum.

i also get a check from diversified for .22 every quarter and they keep sending me letters for my tax info which i have sent two times. .66 earned and a dollar to mail them the same info? just got another request for info i already sent

thank you for the info. i am still trying to find deed info