Which way is better to have your mineral rights?

I have a question. Four of us friends bought 300 acres many years ago together. We all have 50% of the rights in that land. We have now split that land into 4 equal tracks so each one owns his own track in his own name. The question I have is it better to leave the minerals percentages under each tract with all four of us? Or should we divide the minerals up so each guy only owns his own 50% under his own land? Thanks

Personally, having interest in as many acres as possible would be more appealing to me. This way you have a better chance of getting your interests into a unit.

Bigger net, bigger chance of positive return.

In my opinion, larger mineral tracts are more marketable. However, if one of your co-owners is a crank or rabid environmentalist, it could prevent you from getting leased.

I have been in the business 35 years. I know what happens when these rights are broken up. Yes, Rock Man is right---possibly, but I WANT THE FULL 100% of what's under me so the only person to be mad at is ME, which makes me more responsible also.

OP said they only own 50% to start with - so they cant have 100% under themselves in any case. There will always be at least 1 other 'partner'; so split or stay with '25% of 50% undivided interest in the whole 300' ?

John E. Broyles said:

I have been in the business 35 years. I know what happens when these rights are broken up. Yes, Rock Man is right---possibly, but I WANT THE FULL 100% of what's under me so the only person to be mad at is ME, which makes me more responsible also.