Where is the best place to locate mineral rights information?

My grandmother was said to have owned land in Vicksburg MS in the mid 1950’s. She later sold the land but not the mineral rights. I would like to know the best source for locating mineral rights information. I was told that I would need to check the archives at the capital in Vicksburg? Also, if oil has been discovered on that land would my family be entitled to royalties, past and present?

In Texas all this mineral rights information is in the local county records, which is usually at the county clerks office. As for oil discovery / production those records will be at the states oil and gas agency. in Texas the railroad commission. many states have a specific oil and gas department. and usually they have on-line records you can search, if you can figure out where on the site the information you want is. If there has been oil or gas production there will also probably be some records at the local county because they tax that income. dont know specifics for Misissippi tho

Thanks. I will start with the Vicksburg county records.

Andy G. Grubbs said:

In Texas all this mineral rights information is in the local county records, which is usually at the county clerks office. As for oil discovery / production those records will be at the states oil and gas agency. in Texas the railroad commission. many states have a specific oil and gas department. and usually they have on-line records you can search, if you can figure out where on the site the information you want is. If there has been oil or gas production there will also probably be some records at the local county because they tax that income. dont know specifics for Misissippi tho