Where do we go from here?

We had been approached by a leasing company, informed we owned our rights, given proof by them, upon our request! When the lease signing had been aproaching the final stages, they gave us an affidavit to sign, that we with full knowledge did not know of any producing wells already on our property. Well we do have a well that gives us our free gas, our attorney guided us to have that put into the affidavit, we did.They were fine with that at first, then, they told us due to that they needed pictures of the well, we said sure, we had nothing to hide! Now they are stating that they are not sure now of this particular well and it had production records with the last record being 2004. Now they are saying they don’t know if we own anything, that a lease from 1909 showed that our part was intially part of a 200 acre tract, we own 47.9 acres. But they showed us that in 1929 the deed for this property said upon the owners death the rights and everything go to the owner, which they showed us was us!!The lease said that gave a 10 year period and then it speciffically states that the first well had to done with in a month of the lease signing. They were not done till 1929,I realize they could have had delay rentals, but where do we go to find this out? Also if there are no dely rentals did that expire the lease? Any suggestions as to where to go from here? Thanks!!

I am sure you need a copy of the old lease so you can have a professional of your own study it and determine how it affects you today. I don’t think you can rely on a lease agents word. You need your own professional.

I am in total agreement with Mr. Kennedy in regards to taking action by getting a professional study this paperwork in order to make a determination on your current status. Sounds like this lease agent has done his homework and so should you. Good luck!!

I have been to the recorders office twice, and can’t seem to find anything more than the lease being transfered to other gas companies. We have a copy of the original lease, and by looking at it, we have them on the point that they did not drill the wells until after the stated time, but we have no delay rental proof and I don’t know where to look to find that kind of info. Any suggestions?

charles s mallory said:

I am in total agreement with Mr. Kennedy in regards to taking action by getting a professional study this paperwork in order to make a determination on your current status. Sounds like this lease agent has done his homework and so should you. Good luck!!

I think you need professional help. I think if there are other documents pertaining to this lease they should provide them to you. If you had a professional working for you he may be able to give them legal notice to provide such, or determine that none exist. Right now, you are being held hostage by lack of knowledge. A very uncomfortable position. That will not change until you have someone who has that knowledge or knows how to gain acess to that knowledge on your side. Until then your hands are tied, you won’t even know the right questions to ask.

you are so right when you say we are being held hostage! We do have a lawyer but he is so busy that it has been taking well over a month to even be able to get back to us. But I think you are correct he may be the only way to crack this case!My husband actually works for a gas company, so he knows alot about it but I guess just the legal part is too much for us!Thank you all for your import it is greatly appreciated!!

r w kennedy said:

I think you need professional help. I think if there are other documents pertaining to this lease they should provide them to you. If you had a professional working for you he may be able to give them legal notice to provide such, or determine that none exist. Right now, you are being held hostage by lack of knowledge. A very uncomfortable position. That will not change until you have someone who has that knowledge or knows how to gain acess to that knowledge on your side. Until then your hands are tied, you won't even know the right questions to ask.