Where do I start as a mineral rights owner?

I’ve owned mineral rights in Montague County Texas for over 25 years. The mineral rights were passed from my Grandfather to his son (my uncle). My uncle passed away about 25 years ago. I am just now being contacted by someone trying to locate me. I don’t have any details about my mineral rights. I don’t know how many acres or where. I would be interested in knowing how to find information on my exact holdings. I know my Uncle received small royalties but he never told me what they were. I also know nothing of what the royalties numbers mean. HELP lol.Thanks

Dear Mr Byrd,

Ask for a Mineral Ownership Breakdown (as to your interest at the minimum) from the landman. That is a great starting point.

Then you will be in a position to determine if you need to go into more detail.

I am in the same boat. I recieved mineral rights from my dad. He stated in Jan-2010 he just signed a lease. He passed away in Sept. I do not know how to find out who he signed a lease with. Will take any help I can get. I do know he never recieved any royalties on the lease. He stated he guess he would get them when they drilled. Again will take any help in finding who lease the land.

thanks!

Harold

Dear Mr. McLemore,

You might have access to your father's bank account. I would look for deposits from January to June, 2010 and see if I can sniff anything out.

5-23-2011

DEAR MR. McLEMORE: Something else you may want to consider is if: (1) if your father had a last will and testament that was probated, look at his probate file to see if there was any mention of royalties there as an asset, and (2) check county land records online to see what land he owned and get the legal description and then discuss with a local landman how to find out documentation of your father's mineral rights, which may or may not be listed in addition to co-ownership with other individuals, living or deceased.

Buddy Cotten said:

Dear Mr. McLemore,

You might have access to your father's bank account. I would look for deposits from January to June, 2010 and see if I can sniff anything out.

I am sorry for your loss.

Buddy Cotten

Thanks for the information Mr.Cotten.

My dad and his brother had recieved money back in the 70's when I was in the military. My dad's brother passed away, then my dad. My dad always told my sister and I that 50% of the mineral rights would go to us and 50% to my cousin the only child my uncle had. Then he told us in January 2010 that he had signed a contact for a company that lease the land again. I never was able to find out what company it was due to my father passing away. This is very hard to track down the information you need.

Thanks again for your reply. I a place to start.

Harold McLemore

Keith E. Northington said:

5-23-2011

DEAR MR. McLEMORE: Something else you may want to consider is if: (1) if your father had a last will and testament that was probated, look at his probate file to see if there was any mention of royalties there as an asset, and (2) check county land records online to see what land he owned and get the legal description and then discuss with a local landman how to find out documentation of your father's mineral rights, which may or may not be listed in addition to co-ownership with other individuals, living or deceased.

Buddy Cotten said:

Dear Mr. McLemore,

I am sorry for your loss.

Buddy Cotten