Where Do I Go for Help? - Surface Owner Siphoning off Gas

I have deeded (royalties) mineral rights on property in NW PA. The owner has been taking gas off it since I sold the property in the late 1980's. It is not metered. In the past he heated his car dealership and a Kmart (both out of business now) He is now selling it to individual home owners and also to a broker. (it is not a huge amount) I have talked with lawyers who say "yes he owes you but a legal battle would be too costly". In the past I did get $ from Pennzoil & Witco when he was selling oil to them. Any ideas on how to "prove" this withour a costly battle?

I moved to CA shortly after the sale so did not stay on top of it obviously.

any help would be appreciated.

The surface owner is stealing from you! You need to make a complaint to the local District Attorney under a criminal proceeding. A civil law suit will be costly. You need real proof that he is stealing. Why don’t you lease the mineral rights and pursue a legal well through a driller?

Thanks for reply. I will pursue through DA. My percentage is small and not owning the land I can’t have a well dug can I?

Thanks for the info & I will see if anyone is in the area drilling new wells. I am still hoping to get someone to figure out how I can get back data on the gas that he has been using for years. Through Kmart who he sold it to or his family auto business. Again thanks for great info.

Kelsey McNew said:

Even if you don’t own the surface rights, in most states if you lease out your mineral rights to a drilling company they can put a well wherever they please. Of course they would pay the surface owner money for surface damages etc. But you would recieve the royalties.

If you know of any companies that are drilling in the area you can contact them about leasing out your mineral rights for drilling. You will need a copy of the mineral rights deed.

If there are any wells there you will just need to contact the company and send in a copy of your deed and information and you would get the royalties.

chris baierski said:
Thanks for reply. I will pursue through DA. My percentage is small and not owning the land I can’t have a well dug can I?