When to Lease - Small tract within the Bakken Shale

I own 2.44 mineral acres on a 45 acre tract in the Bakken in North Dakota. It looks like most of the land aroung me has been leased by several different oil companies. Should I wait to be contacted or am I better off trying to actively look for a lessee. I don't feel like I have much leverage with such a small amount of mineral acres.

Roger: You might get information from the Mineral Sales in the North Dakota area as what companies are persuing mineral interests in your Township. Call the North Dakota Industrial Commission for the website reflecting these sales.

Hey Roger -

Stop by the County Clerk's or Recorder's office (whatever office is responsible for Deeds, Leases, etc) at the County Courthouse and ask if anybody using the records is a Landman.

Take along your legal description and a map of the land if you have one (Tax or Appraisal Office should be able to print you out both).

Unless they have been forbidden from talking to people in the Courthouse (not unusual in highly competitive areas), one of the Landmen will more than likely be able to help you.

You also might want to check with your neighbors that have leased - all of them dealt with a Landman at some point and will know who you can call.

Charles Emery Tooke III

Certified Professional Landman

Fort Worth, Texas

Charles; Thank you for your reply. I live too far away to stop by the courthouse in Williston but I can certainly contact a landman in that area. I appreciate your advice.

Roger

Roger

If you like I can do a quick check for you. I am a landman in Williston. Contact me if you would like.

Thanks

Mat Ekblad

701-774-3161

ekbladenergy@yahoo.com

Roger D. Spears said:

Charles; Thank you for your reply. I live too far away to stop by the courthouse in Williston but I can certainly contact a landman in that area. I appreciate your advice.

Roger