What to do if sued for back taxes

I inherited oil mineral rights from my mother in January. She did not pay the taxes sent to her because she thought because she didn't own land just received royalties and did not owe them.

Today I was served on the 2,000 delinquent taxes.

My question is: Her name said behind it (person liability) and then my sister and I were listed and it said, (no personal liability). What does this mean?

The royalities we just started to receive are less than 50.00 each a month and we have to wait 2 months, because they only mail checks when it is at least 100.00.

Appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks,

Sherry

Sherry:

You might want to post this under "Law and Legal Questions" located on this forum.

Thank you.

charles s mallory said:

Sherry:

You might want to post this under "Law and Legal Questions" located on this forum.

Just been served with court papers to send a reply to the court about the taxes owed for the last 10 years that my mom did not pay. Two days later received a notice of "tax lien" on the property.

We don't know what to do. I've called several lawyers and they are not returning my call. We have to send a reply to the court, but don't know what to say.

My mother (deceased) is listed as personal liability, and my sister (who never received a summons) and I are listed as, no liability.

Is it possible to get these back taxes reduced? It says the debt is 2,200. We don't have any money.

Anyone have any answers?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Sherry

Sherry:

You might seriously consider getting some legal advice from either a CPA or a tax attorney. You did not indicate what State you are located in, but various States might have different tax laws. You might shop around with these options to find out the least expensive method to persue. I have utilized another website called AllExperts Oil and Gas which is comprised of several individuals with expertise in various areas of oil and gas matters. This information is free and might be worth a shot.

Sherry Downes said:

Just been served with court papers to send a reply to the court about the taxes owed for the last 10 years that my mom did not pay. Two days later received a notice of "tax lien" on the property.

We don't know what to do. I've called several lawyers and they are not returning my call. We have to send a reply to the court, but don't know what to say.

My mother (deceased) is listed as personal liability, and my sister (who never received a summons) and I are listed as, no liability.

Is it possible to get these back taxes reduced? It says the debt is 2,200. We don't have any money.

Anyone have any answers?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Sherry

charles s mallory said:

Sherry:

You might seriously consider getting some legal advice from either a CPA or a tax attorney. You did not indicate what State you are located in, but various States might have different tax laws. You might shop around with these options to find out the least expensive method to persue. I have utilized another website called AllExperts Oil and Gas which is comprised of several individuals with expertise in various areas of oil and gas matters. This information is free and might be worth a shot.

Sherry Downes said:

Anyone have any answers?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Sherry

Sherry Downes said:

charles s mallory said:

Sherry:

Sherry Downes said:

Anyone have any answers?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Sherry