What title do you want

I recently sold my surface only. I have received a contract for sub surface easement. Contract says $10 and other considerations but makes no offers. Should I get compensation for a company wanting me to sign so they can move drilling equipment. I have a mineral lease with black swan?

It would be more helpful if you would give a state and county. Are you getting a contract for a mineral lease, subsurface gas storage or what kind of document. If you sold the surface, then drilling operations contracts for surface usage would be with the new surface owner. The $10 is standard language as the actual amounts are private. Always wise to get an attorney involved if you do not understand the language in a contract.

The county is Martin in Texas. The phone call said they wanted to move drilling equipment. Sent contracts for subsurface . Black swan is operator

If they want a subsurface easement they most likely want to drill through your subsurface to access minerals not on your land. An off-unit pad as it were. I would not agree to that without compensation or some additional explanation. If that is what is happening, and you still had the surface, you’d get damages/etc for the pad construction on your surface. But as a mineral owner, nada.

I would clarify what they want to drill and what (area) it is going to produce from. “show me a map or well plan or what is in it for me”. Maybe there is a quid pro quo here. I’ll sign this easement if you will show/tell me when/how you will develop my acreage. Etc.

The “we want to move drilling equipment so here’s a subsurface contract” thing makes no sense (to me), which may be your point.

1 Like

Thank you so much think I will seek some legal counsel on this and some other basics

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.