What mineral rights do i own?

In 2001 I inherited some mineral interests in Fayette County, Texas. I know where a few of them are located but I know that there is a good possibility that there are more. My problem is this…I cannot afford to have someone search the records for me to find out what I have inherited. I have been contacted by land men and companies since inheriting these rights and I feel it would benefit me greatly in negotiating with these people and companies if I knew precisely what I have rights to. Can someone tell me what I can do to find out the unknown mineral rights I am entitled to cheaply, or free? I am 76 years old and am a target for someone looking to take advantage of me. Thanks.

I would first ask the landmen where they got your name and how many net acres they think you have and who they think you inherited from. Then you have a starting place. If they hem and haw, they have not done much title work yet and are fishing to see if you are interested before they invest in doing the work.

The second thing you can do now is use a search engine such as www.TexasFile.com to hunt for your name and any ancestor names. It is fairly inexpensive and will get you started on your search. Start with the properties you know about and who gave them to you and that will be the seed knowledge for finding any others.

1 Like

Just a thought… why not go back to the company that made you the offer and ask them to list what they have identified as “100% of your interests in Fayette County”. Tell them you want a specific list of what the are making their offer on. They may or may not give you an answer; but if they did, it may enlighten you on some interests you did not know about. Granted, this is not a full blown legal records search, but it might be a source of some free information.

1 Like

Thank you. I will do that. My grand father was a Geophysicist. He discovered the Mag-Barb oilfield in Fort Bend County Texas in 1955.

Thank you. I guess I will start there.

Won’t help if you are a long way from Fayette County but the most obvious approach would be going to county court house in La Grange and checking the deed records. No cost, except getting there. It won’t work if they are under Covid-19 restrictions but under normal circumstances the folks in the clerk’s office will help you learn your way around the deed indexes.

I now live in Arkansas and I will not travel until this virus problem is over.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.