What is usually meant by "repairing a well"

CHK says that they are repairing a couple of 10 year old wells in LaSalle County TX. (no production for a couple of months…) What “usually” goes into “repairing a well” ?

It depends upon what is wrong with the well. It could mean replacing a down hole pump, or repairng casing or replacing a production liner. Particular to each well and its problem.

1 Like

Hard to say - one well was producing 1000 bbls a month recently, the other a 100 or less. (from 14-15k bbl beginnings) Am curious as I’ve noticed adjacent property wells decline to a couple of hundred bbls or less a month from say 15k some years earlier, and then jump back up to 16k to 20k all of a sudden - I am assuming from well “repair” work since the production is listed under the same well ID, but haven’t investigated enough to determine if the operator actually drilled additional wells. (our new wells got distinct new IDs) I don’t know if these existing wells are ever refracked. Would like to know.

Some wells can be re-fracked. Depends upon the economics. If the well is vertical, then the original zone might be reworked, or possibly a shallower one. In certain areas, re-fracs of horizontal wells is under experimentation.

All kinds of things can go wrong. None of them are easy. Prior to rod pump they might try jet lift technology then another work over to rod pump. Anything that stops production is a well repair intervention

I know on drilling lateral if you get out of target formation it’s hard to get back in. Maybe water

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.