What is the best approach to lease mineral rights

We inherited mineral rights years ago in Borden / Howard county. We have received a number of lease requests over the years but declined them. We learned that the companies drill and the monies sit in suspense until we sign an agreement. We learned that the title went into suspense (even though we had received payments in the past). We are expecting a check in the near future but have a few questions we hope someone can provide some assistance- the taxes for previous years are due and have penalties / interest plus attorney fees - can these be negotiated? We were unaware that there were taxes as the county didn’t have us listed as owners. Also, what is the best approach to leasing the mineral rights? Go thru a land man and a company; use a lawyer, or other thoughts. Seems like there are a lot of middle people making money. The company we are dealing with has horrible customer service and it’s taken about a year to clear this mess up. Thanks for any advice

We are contracted with SM Energy in Howard County. They have been good about responding to me when I have questions. I recommend you contact them if you’re getting offers in Howard county.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.