What if person died in Oregon and has oil and mineral rights in Oklahoma?

My father lived in and died in Oregon back in 1994, there was a will and it got probated in Oregon . At the time of the will we only knew of one section that’s in Hughes Country . I just recently discovered that there’s more in Seminole County . What papers do I need to file in order to have what was found in Seminole County ? Also I live in Oregon do I have to take a trip to file in person ?

Sheryl, I’m sorry for the loss of your father. :pensive:

It sounds like you will probably need to have your father’s will probated in both Hughes and Seminole counties, but I’ll let someone better qualified than myself speak to that.

However, I do know for a fact that you don’t have to travel to Oklahoma to file in person. My mother (who owned mineral rights in Oklahoma) lived and passed away in Indiana, and I just had her will successfully probated in Oklahoma via a law firm in Oklahoma City.

BTW, welcome to the forum! This is a great place to find help.

You will need to have a probate done. Now, if a probate was already done, then an affidavit reflecting what happened to the property will need to be recorded in Seminole County. If you have to have a probate done, only one is necessary. either in the District Court of Seminole county or the District court of Hughes county, but not both.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.