What do I own?

Can someone tell me how I can find out exactly what I now own in Kingfisher County? Thanks.

Assuming you have no idea of the location of your properties, i.e. Section, Township and Range, your best approach would be to look at your property tax statements from the different counties. If you are looking for mineral assets only, it is necessary to know the county. Your best bet is to contact the County Records Office and start there. If you’re lucky, the Records office will be able to do a search of their records if the records are 1) recorded electronically AND 2) if they will do so. (They don’t have to help you over the phone.) Try writing a letter and asking for their help. Proceed accordingly.

First, you can do an online search of the County records, search by family names, etc. You can that for free. If the records are old they may not be available online. If you cannot find anything online you will have to go to the County Clerk's office and search the records yourself which is going to take some time. If you prefer you can hire a LANDMAN to do the search for you, they generally charge by the day. You can find a landman through this forum. I've been using Ryan Story to do searches and other work for us since I'm in CA. A landman is knowledgeable about many things when it comes to mineral records but you will have to talk with one and give them all the info that you have. Also, how do you know you own anything in Kingfisher? That is going to be the starting point.

An additional way to search is by using the name(s) of the person(s) you inherited from on okcountyrecords.com. You can search for free, but it costs a little bit to print. The digital files only go back to about 1991 depending upon the county, but it is a good place to start.

Another place to start is by searching the unlocated mineral ownerson the OCC website.

http://www.occeweb.com/MOEAsearch/

You can also search the OK Treasurer's office under unclaimed funds. I do that anyway about every six months just to catch random things that fall through the cracks. Had the same PO Box for decades and somehow they manage to lose us.

Seems that you sold all of your leasehold interests in S17 & 24. Anything you had in S28 was subject to a quiet title motion.

If you are receiving regulatory notices, it is most likely due to you once being in the chain of title.

To Jeffrey Beunier,

Thanks for your reply. I am aware that I sold interest in S17, and I also know that I sold an interest in another section to Centaur Resources (Ernest Brewer), but I don't know what section that was. My main question now is regarding Section 18. An energy company has proposed buying S18 from me, but I need to be sure that I own there. Also, what is a "quiet title motion", and how does it affect me?

Sam

I apologize, I can't remember if I responded to your question...if I didn't, please ping me and I can look deeper.

Hi, Jeffrey,

I did not get an answer from you to my questions, which were: "My main question now is regarding Section 18. An energy company has proposed buying S18 from me, but I need to be sure that I own there. Also, what is a "quiet title motion", and how does it affect me?" I would appreciate your assistance regarding these. Thanks again.

Sam Kritzstein