West of Brockton-Froid Fault Line

I recently saw a presentation from Continental Oil and their map
indicated that oil drilling would end east of the Brockton-Froid fault
line. It was told to me that a fault line stops the oil. But I noticed
that the field in Canada is west of the same fault line.

Do the drilling companies have plans to eventually lease and drill
between the Brockton-Froid fault line and the Poplar fault line west
of Williston?

I have attached the location of the presentation below:

http://www.bmda.org/enews/?ID=164

On the map it indicates that they are not interesed in anything west
of the Brockton-Froid fault line. I know that it has been an issue for
companies dealing with the reservation. How do they manage to work
with the Three Affiliated Tribes? They must have the same long process
as Ft. Peck in dealing with the BIA. Or did they streamline their
processes and Ft. Peck did not?

I guess my question really is: Aside from the problems dealing on
reservation land, do they even think there is oil west of that fault
line? Or does it cut off at the fault line? If there is oil, I would
imagine eventually they will get to it.

Mary:

Thanks for the information regarding the presentation by Continental. This was very interesting and informative. I am no oil and gas geologist so I cannot answer your question about the Brockton-Froid fault line. My minerals are located East of Froid in T30N;R59E and I know that a fairly good well was completed to the West of my area. Also, all areas in my Township have been temp. spaced and seismic work was being conducted on areas to the East and West of my area. The area West of this fault line which you were referring to might be further West than I am thinking. Have you heard any information about any future drilling in the area East of Froid? I know the majority of the drilling has been occuring to the South in Richmond County.

Charles,

I don't live in the area anymore and try to keep abreast via this site and other news clippings. Right now, however, east of froid is doing better that the farther west locations. I did hear that they are expecting another 2000 wells this year alone within a 75 mile radius of Williston. Your area is definetly within that range. We are a little further west. I did however, stumble across another map that shows our minerals in the mature part of the bakken. I think we're a few years out from getting anything drilled there though.

Mary:

Where did you get your information about the 2000 wells and wonder how many of these wells would fall in the Montan area. That is great news and I am noticing an increase in new permits just today for the Richland County area. Again, I'm more concerned about Roosevelt County but I think we are in the play and hopefully drilling will increase as time goes on. I reviewed a map via Google Earth and it indicates three old vertical wells in our area which has been plugged. Keep in mind that these wells were drilled to a different formation and a different concept was utilized. I think we will be happy as time goes on. Good luck on your minerals.

Mary said:

Charles,

I don't live in the area anymore and try to keep abreast via this site and other news clippings. Right now, however, east of froid is doing better that the farther west locations. I did hear that they are expecting another 2000 wells this year alone within a 75 mile radius of Williston. Your area is definetly within that range. We are a little further west. I did however, stumble across another map that shows our minerals in the mature part of the bakken. I think we're a few years out from getting anything drilled there though.

Well, my information, I believe came from an article in the Bismarck Tribune. I have to tell you that I see so many articles and reports that I have a hard time remembering what information came from what source. I have attached two presentations that I discovered since I first posted the one above. They look a little better for our mineral acreage that the first one, so I am going with these:) 3013-Request030711FourthQuarter2010Update.pdf (3.32 MB) 3014-RequestNAPE_Presentation_Stark_2011.pdf (3.01 MB)

Mary:

Thanks for sending this info. It does make our area look like we are going to see activity sometime in the future. I will guess that the trend for the future in our area of Montana, will be to drill according to lease expiration dates or these dates will be an important factor in the drilling activity in this area. Our leases in Montana does not expire until 2013 so I feel we are probably late 2012 or early 2013 for any drilling activity. Our minerals in Williams County, ND will probably be drilled this year as they expire early 2012. Montana is our main interest as we have 300 plus acres in Roosevelt. Thanks again.

Mary said:

Well, my information, I believe came from an article in the Bismarck Tribune. I have to tell you that I see so many articles and reports that I have a hard time remembering what information came from what source. I have attached two presentations that I discovered since I first posted the one above. They look a little better for our mineral acreage that the first one, so I am going with these:)

To repeat what another said on this forum; If you have access to “The New Yorker” magazine(April 25 edition); there is a great article on the Bakken and how itwas developed, with details on fracing and areas they are drilling; definitely worth a read if you can!!

I dont have access to the new yorker edition but the on line ton post has articles about fracking in the "green" section

Our property touches this fault line in Sask Canada, so I have a small curiosity about how it affects things. as i am reading today, 2013, they have concluded it does not make a difference. it's the maturity of the rocks... what ever that means. Guess I wouldn't mind if a few diamonds came percolating up from a fault line. : )