Well producing information

The well has begun producing, where can I find specifics? The oil and gas commission site doesn't give details on when it started producing and how much and what is next step. The well information pages state that it is in "completion data confidential" status. (until June).

The Landman is no longer with the leasing company. This is who I would normally contact.

Thank for any info you can offer.

Pam

Pam: First, could you give additional details such as the location of this well. If the well is on the confidential list, then the information will not be released until the end of the confidential period.

well, I was hoping there would be a way around this confidential data thing. Thank you for taking the time to answer.

Pam,

What was the section, township and range? Is the well around 8N-90W or 91W?

I have two questions. If anyone can answer one or both, I'd appreciate it.

1. Looking on well production on various old wells PA-Plugged and Abandoned--PNA-Producer Now Abandoned, status. Three wells in particular #1665, 3896, & 3942. These were still producing more bopd at time of PA than some that are currently drilled and producing. The last one listed #3942 only ran for 2 months prior to PA, and had good production. I've noticed this among many other wells that are PA from long ago. It didn't appear that bowd was the reason, in these 3 wells. Does the state regulate if they can shut down for no real reason?

2. I know this may seem silly, is the Confidential List common in all oil states, or is it really just an issue for ND? I understand why they use it, but seems like most every well gets put on it, and is annoying. LOL

Snues:

The decision to P&A a well is normally that of the operator. In cases where a well has been abandoned and an individual State obtains control of that well, then funds are set aside for State Funded Plugging and it would be the decision of the State. The wells you refer to were possibly plugged due to that downhole expenses to keep the well in a profitable range became too great. You didn't state the date these wells were plugged but what was the price per barrel at that time. In Texas, numerous wells fit the profile of these wells you mentioned but at the time, the price of crude per barrel was extremely low thus P&A was the alternative since the maintenance expense was too great. In regards to your question about "confidential" or tight hole wells, I can't speak for every State but I know it applies in many States. It's what I call the "operators right to privacy".

Snues said:

1. Looking on well production on various old wells PA-Plugged and Abandoned--PNA-Producer Now Abandoned, status. Three wells in particular #1665, 3896, & 3942. These were still producing more bopd at time of PA than some that are currently drilled and producing. The last one listed #3942 only ran for 2 months prior to PA, and had good production. I've noticed this among many other wells that are PA from long ago. It didn't appear that bowd was the reason, in these 3 wells. Does the state regulate if they can shut down for no real reason?

2. I know this may seem silly, is the Confidential List common in all oil states, or is it really just an issue for ND? I understand why they use it, but seems like most every well gets put on it, and is annoying. LOL

I apologize for my late response. The info you asked for is NWNW,T6NR91W

Mineral Joe said:

Pam,

What was the section, township and range? Is the well around 8N-90W or 91W?

Can't answer your first question, but most states I'm familiar with do not have confidential wells lists, not in TX, LA, NM or OK that I know about. There are ways for companies to get around filing information, like doing it outside the guidelines set by a state. The confidential list of wells is unique to North Dakota from my experience. There may be other states, but I've worked with almost all the states west of the Mississippi River for many years. I think its disadvantageous to mineral owners too.

Snues said:

Pam,

"Confidentail Status" of a well can be requested by an operator in most states. The purpose of this status is very similar to that of a patent. The states grant confidential statsus in order to offer a small degree of protection to a company. If the company has spent tens of millions of dollars on a well only to have competitors obtain what can be considered trade secrets, there would be much less incentive for a company to drill a wildcat well. The confidential status allows the company that took significant risk to drill a wildcat well to keep a little bit of a lead over its competitors for a brief period of time.

Pam:

I agree with what Jason said in his post but I have always believed one of the main factors for a well being confidential is the various formation information which is gathered on the way down to the bottom depth. The operator, through, tests, may find another promising formation which they might want to explore.

Well, you may be right in some states, but most of the states I'm familiar with have reporting requirements that are so delayed in time as to not need confidential lists. Again, I've never heard of it in TX, LA, NM, OK and other states; maybe MT & WY. But then, TX & LA don't required scout ticket information of any consequence, and e-logs aren't even required to be filed in a time frame probably far beyond any operator's need to worry. I think in TX the e-log requirement is 2 years and the TX Railroad Commission doesn't maintain any scout ticket or drilling information of any consequence.