Well Inactive Due to Excessive Flaring

I have mineral interest in the Busch 32-1H well, with Petro Harvester as the operator. The well was SPUD in early 2014 and was a good producer last fall. Instead of my usual check in March , I received a letter informing me that the well is now inactive because of too much flaring. Petro Harvester said the well would be IA until they found a solution. I thought this may be a ploy to make the well inactive until oil prices stabilized, but my husband believes they will get it going as soon as they can. Do you have any insight into how long it takes to correct a flaring issue. My question is, will the well be active again, and how long will it take? I know about the issue of flaring, I just don't know about the process of correcting it! Your thoughts are appreciated!

The State imposes restrictions on how much gas is allowed to be flared. Generally, they will give 6 months initially to allow for testing the well, but after that they might require that a gas line be hooked up. That could take a while depending on how far of a line needs to built. In some cases, if the Operator can prove that it is not economically feasible to hook up to a pipeline they can get an exception to continue producing the well.

Thank you, Steve. Do you have any idea whether this takes months...years? In the letter we received from Petro Harvester they said they have to get permission from the land owner to put a gas line in. Is that something easily attainable? Everything I have read says land owners often have an adversarial relationship with oil companies. Is it possible the land owner could refuse. If the well is a fairly good producing well, is it probable that the oil company can let it go, or do they generally find a solution? Sure appreciate your thoughts! Vicki

I took a look at your well and it did produce for exactly six months. The last month, January 2105, it produced a total of 9.038 bbls of oil, or about 300 per day. Pretty sure the Company will be motivated to get it sorted out soon. I would expect it to take several months to actually get a line built. If they are having trouble getting a right of way to build the line, they may be able to find a different route around whoever is holding them up. Good luck.

Steve Durrett said:

I took a look at your well and it did produce for exactly six months. The last month, January 2105, it produced a total of 9.038 bbls of oil, or about 300 per day. Pretty sure the Company will be motivated to get it sorted out soon. I would expect it to take several months to actually get a line built. If they are having trouble getting a right of way to build the line, they may be able to find a different route around whoever is holding them up. Good luck.

Vicki Michel said:

Steve Durrett said: