Weld County, CO - Oil & Gas Discussion archives

Many people just don’t know how cheap the operating expenses on a well can be. I happen to have my carried interest status of accounts in front of me for one of my flowing wells in ND. Cost of operating and surface equipment COMBINED for the quarter ending in December for a little over 3 acres in a 1280 spacing was $14. If the well is ever put on pump this cost will go up but so will production. The operator has people whose job it is to get the most production out of the well for the least expense. People talk about the OMG operating expenses, you ever notice they don’t give any actual numbers?

Reading the Co forced pooling law it says the consenting owners can recover 200% of the non-consenting mineral owners cost, that’s 100% of what it would have cost them to participate anyway plus 100%. I would call that a 100% penalty.

Surface equipment beyond the the well connections, treaters, compressors, piping is 100% or as I would call it, dollar for dollar.

Saying there is a 200% penalty leads people to believe that they would have their proportionate cost of the well taken out and then face a 200% penalty. In fact the law says the consenting owners can recover 200% of the non-consenting owners cost, the word penalty was not used in the relevant paragraphs at all that I saw. Read the law and make an informed opinion, don’t take anyones word for what the law is from a forum, not even mine.

It doesn’t say “forced” pooling hearing on it anywhere. Just that it is a pooling hearing. There are several people listed on the sheet though. I only know that lease status of 4 of them so I don’t know if anyone is holding out or not. Do they have a hearing if everyone has signed a lease??

OK here’s my situation. Found out about oil rights in 2010. Small 10.656 acres in 7n64w Section 22 (north half). We have a lease with Noble Energy. Permits were ADA approved in September. 640 acre drilling unit. SPUD date for first one had a NOTICE date of Jan. 25. We have a pooling hearing FEB. 11 and 12th. Seems like things are moving along. Just wondering on any advice on what may be coming from here. We are very novice at this so any information will be greatly appreciated.

Tammy: they are pooling 640 acres and including a 160 from 4 sections.

Inclusive of N/2N/2 of 22. Going to be 2 horizontal wells. It mentions non-consenting owners in the Notice, so they will be force pooled.

Congrats to you — soon to get mailbox money!

If you have a producing well on your property and they add another well, will you be notified that they are seeking a permit for an additional well? We were told that more wells will be going in and we are wondering if/how we will know that…thanks:)

Steve - mailbox money…I like that, that is cute:)

Tammy is it a forced pooling hearing?

RW Kennedy and I used term “penalty” in previous posts regarding forced pooling and that is inaccurate, check out the COGCC website and look under Rules for forced pooling it’s pretty black and white.

Regarding Lease operating expenses, i agree in some cases some stripper wells can cost very little to operate until they start working the well over or repairing or recompleting, in which case you as a Working Interest owner will have to pay your percentage of the costs, and if you don’t pay your share or can’t it’s considered non-consent and this m’aam is a PENALTY up to 300% depending on the JOA with the operator.

One day with a repair rig plus new pump and few new tubes could cost $15,000

If they see another zone and would like to punch holes and re-frack or acidize it could be a $100,000 week so i would know what your getting into with being a working interest owner after the 200% recovery period is met and conversion to Working Interest.

We have 50% of a Bakken/Nisku well and it produces 45 barrels a day on plunger, the pumpjack, rods, tubing are on site and our share of all that was $50K (paid) it makes 250 barrels of water a day so disposal fees and trucking are $12,000 a month (our share) so even though we love getting our mail box money of $30,000 to $35,000 a month we also pay $13,500 to $15,000 a month in lease operating expenses.

Our concern is as the well decreases in oil production the water has been staying the same so once the well is down to under 20 we are in real trouble.

We also have an 8 barrel a day well in Utah and we get about $7,500 a month Net revenue and our share of lease operating is $3,800 so we around $3,700 per month.

And lastly we also have a 2 barrel a day well and we are negative every month becuase the lease operating cost $2,200 per month and we receive a check of $1,275 this well is holding 160 acres and they will drill another well hopefully soon.

I hope for Tammys sake the two mile long Lateral leg IP’s over a Thousand barrels a day (and it should) :slight_smile:

A Prehearing conference has been set up with Noble’s attorney and myself to resolve my issues with how the deal was to be handled. My hearing would have been Feb. 11 and 12. I understand that an arrangement can be agreed to before the actual hearing. We have a conference via telephone on Feb 4 regarding my issues. So we’ll see. I feel I was knocked around by different landmen to get me to sign. My family did, too quickly. Will let you guys know how this turns out if I don’t have to agree to a confidentially clause. Peace.

Regina good luck lets us know!!!

Found this link that might be helpful.

http://www.niobraranews.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/What-is-Forc…

Jason - sent you a friend request so I can message you. Still curious about what you found.

Tammy I can email you some detailed info and a well design from Ensign for the two miler. Might see a three miler soon!!!

Jason, that post makes my eyes cross…WOW!

The well I was referencing is not a stripper well. In Dec the well only produced 1 day but in 18 days production in Nov the well produced 2102 bbl. Hardly a stripper well. Like in any other part of your life, if you spend all of your income as fast as you get it you will eventually run into a bill you can’t pay. I don’t assume that everyone I come in contact spends until they are broke and maxes their credit cards, but if they are that way, I agree that they have no business owning part of a well, and in fact they should probably move back in with their parents until they are ready for the wider world. If you sign a JOA that allows for a 300% penalty, then a 300% penalty you will have. What ever posessed you to sign such a document? Think for a moment, how do they get your part of the money if you did not sign the JOA? Buddy Cotten told me that people get it stuck to them in a JOA, so I am not party to one, not that I would have signed one anyway. LOL.

You didn’t say what % of your total well interest was, that makes a difference in how large your bills are. I’m sorry your wells are so poor and produce so much water. People should consider what kind of well they could get before deciding they want to be an owner.

I have been dealing with the NDIC and KOG this week about a reentry on a Bakken well. When I talk to either they both tell me that it is such a rare occourance they aren’t prepared for my questions.

A $500,000 workover on a space that I only have a few acres in, my part wouldn’t be as much as having the transmission rebuilt in my car. The same cost of work on a verticle well on 40 acre spacing could be serious money. BTW people, I don’t advocate owning in a verticle well for just that reason and because they are prone to reworks.

I don’t know about anywhere else but if a well of mine was losing money in ND, I could turn my interest in the well over to the operator and the operator would have to pay me the salvage value of my part of the equipment and I wouldn’t be responsible for any bills henceforth, but would no longer share in future production from the well. I recommend that people put in a fair amount of study before making their decision to be an owner

If you were non=consent, when you become a working interest you need to get some legal advice and set up an LLC. Lease your interest to the LLC and worst case if you get sued, all they get is your lease, the best lease ever in your favor, and they still have to pay you, alot more than your lease with the operator would have been.

Knowledge is the key here, just about everything that could happen has happened so long ago that the thing to do before, during or after it happens have already been figured out. It’s a business, if you expect to make money learn your business.

Now back to the scary numbers where they don’t say how big the interest is.

Thanks Jason and Steve for the positive comments. Jason I have tried to research the extended lateral wells but haven’t found much on them in Colorado. I see on the map there are a lot of permits for them but not a lot that have actually been drilled and have production numbers. Any good resources you have found with information pertaining to them?

Jason my email is: tunderwo2@yahoo.com. :slight_smile:

Jason - Still looking for any information on Barretts application to reduce spacing unit from a 640 to a 320 (cutting me out of the production). My email is jlake@jlakeinvestments.com. Would love to hear what you know about the area 6N62W section 25.

We have a one quarter interest in a half section in T18, 11N, 57W. Whiting Pete has just filed for spacing and drilling units of 960 acres each. We are in one of these units. I have no idea what they are about. Would this mean that we now have a one twelfth interest in the 960 unit, or what? If someone can explain how this would affect us, I would appreciate it. Our lease is with Whiting

Thanks Jason, that is encouraging. Unfortunately, I won’t live long enough to see all the benefits. I am 76 years old, but healthy. Our rights are in a trust, so my 7 children will see more benefit than I will. That’s OK with me. I’m happy to leave them something.

I don’t have a seismic letter. I just happened to stumble across this filing by Whiting to create the 960 acre units. I suppose that means that they would only drill one horizontal extended out over the entire 960. What kind of production are the horizontals getting in that area? If it is not very good, I will end up with peanuts.

Those wells in our township have ip rates anywhere from 500 to 1300 bopd, you will get way more than peanuts. Also there will be more then one HZ well per unit. Noble and others are drilling them right now and lots of eyes are on them.