Very "green" royalty owner

Would someone please let me know if there is A “going rate” per mineral acre for leases in Winkler County, Texas? And please advise as to the more important things to know about being a royalty owner?

Laura:

I am not familiar with Winkler County but my suggestion is post your question under "County Groups" above; scroll down to Texas and you will find Winkler County. I checked and there are currently 4 members under Winkler County. Also, you can began to educate yourself on the important things involved in being a royalty owner by clicking on "Mineral Help" above and also reading prior posts on this forum. Good luck on minerals!

Laura,

You can also begin your education by reading the many blogs by various knowledgable people.
There is much good info there. Good luck with your education. There is lots to learn. Just remember, don't make any hasty decisions that could literally cost you thousands of dollars. There are many good people here who will help you with anything you need help with. Just ask.

Yours,

Wes Luke

Charles, thank you for the advice. I don’t have the Mineral Help option to click. What screen do I go to to find it?

charles s mallory said:

Laura:

I am not familiar with Winkler County but my suggestion is post your question under “County Groups” above; scroll down to Texas and you will find Winkler County. I checked and there are currently 4 members under Winkler County. Also, you can began to educate yourself on the important things involved in being a royalty owner by clicking on “Mineral Help” above and also reading prior posts on this forum. Good luck on minerals!

Laura:

This "Mineral Help" should be at the top Mineral Rights Forum Page (Above); its in with other topics. There is a lot of information here and on other posts. If you have a specific question, just post it and someone will respond with the answer.

Laura Curnutte said:

Charles, thank you for the advice. I don't have the Mineral Help option to click. What screen do I go to to find it?

charles s mallory said:

Laura:

I am not familiar with Winkler County but my suggestion is post your question under "County Groups" above; scroll down to Texas and you will find Winkler County. I checked and there are currently 4 members under Winkler County. Also, you can began to educate yourself on the important things involved in being a royalty owner by clicking on "Mineral Help" above and also reading prior posts on this forum. Good luck on minerals!

Laura,

There are two very good organizations which are a great help to the novice mineral owner:

NARO - National Association of Royalty Owners AND TLMA - Texas Land & Mineral Owners Association.

These are both on-line, so easy to contact. NARO offers books that are helpful and one that is really informative is "Look Before You Lease" which is written by a Landman for Mineral and land owners.

TLMA is a good resource for Mineral Lease forms and Surface Use forms, etc. They also have meetings throughout the year, good for networking and for education.

I like to read anything in this forum, and you can ask questions and get answers. Mr. Mallory and Buddy Cotten are both great resources.

The MOST IMPORTANT advice I can give you is to make sure you sign nothing without hiring a seasoned oil and gas attorney. There are several good attorneys in Kermit, Texas and of course in Midland.

I have minerals in Winkler and the last time they leased, it was for about 700.00 per acre, but that was about 5 years ago.

But, to educate yourself, call NARO and order a copy of the book I mentioned above. It is great, short and an easy read for the laymen.

Hope this helps.