Update: Howard County activity

Did anyone see this article?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/christopherhelman/2017/06/29/explaining-the-permian-scramble

"Company after company has piled in, paying more than $20,000 an acre for drilling rights."

Any thoughts on how this applies to Howard County land?

I wish I could help you. I read about people getting huge "buy" offers on this site as well. I've been trying to get people to clarify between "buying" and "leasing" minerals. So far not so much luck. I'm guessing many of these high offers mean "buying" instead of leasing. but I could be wrong.

Regina, it seems to be a standard ploy to send out wildly optimistic offers to get people to consider selling and once they reply the negotiation begins. It gets the pitchman's foot in the door.

You also need to read any proposed assignment or conveyance very carefully if you own other mineral interests in the county. Some shady buyers add a clause that you are selling everything you own in the county.

Regina,

My philosophy is to never sell minerals. They do not cost anything to own and the only time you pay taxes on it is if it is producing. I am fortunate to not be in a situation where I have to have the money. I also own the surface rights which is another reason I do not sell minerals.

1 Like

Daves Reply:

Reply by Dave Christian 48 minutes ago

Regina,

My philosophy is to never sell minerals. They do not cost anything to own and the only time you pay taxes on it is if it is producing. I am fortunate to not be in a situation where I have to have the money. I also own the surface rights which is another reason I do not sell minerals.

Clint Liles

Regina, if you can't find a recent post by someone, you can likely find it on their home page if the home page isn't set to private.