Unresponsive New Operator

Good afternoon! I am happy to find this forum! I have been very frustrated and have two questions as I would like to ensure I am following the appropriate process.

Quick background: I have a Non-Participating Royalty Interest (RI) in Farmington, NM (San Juan County). I own 5% of a batch of four wells that have always produced, and I have only experienced two re-works of the wells and only two operator changes in the past 17 years with both operators very responsive to inquiries. I have been very blessed…until now. Since I have always been “non-participating” it has always been a guessing game as to why a check was late or just never showed up. I just trusted some form of communication would happen and eventually something always came.

Current situation: March of 2023, I didn’t receive a check and still haven’t receive a check to date. I assumed my luck ran out and the wells dried up or a rework was in progress.

January 2024, I called the current operating company (SG Interests, Houston, TX) to give a new address for my tax documents. (I moved in December 2023) It was then, that I was notified by the land ma’am that they sold the interest in February 2023 and that I was responsible to call the new operator and figure out why I haven’t received any checks. I only received a PO Box and name of the company (Petro Mex, LLC.) No phone number or any names.

So, after a day of research, I located three points of contact including the land man and owner of Petro Mex, LLC. I also located five different addresses in Farmington, NM for Petro Mex. I also found public court records showing this new operator has a history of various operating violations including not paying royalties to owners.

After I completed my research, I called the now previous operator (SG Interests) and told them my story and how I never received or read about a Division Order. The land ma’am showed pity on me and gave me a copy of the Assignment/Bill of Sale (from SG Interests to Petro Mex) and the Sundry Reports (seems to be a database with API numbers and such) for the wells. The also were nice enough to tell me Good Luck!

Since that day,

1. I have sent multiple emails and left various voicemails with no return phone call or email.
  2. I have now drafted a “Demand Letter” with citied NM Section 70-10 laws for non-payment of royalties and late payment interest. I also made copies of the Assignment. I plan on sending First Class certified letters to all 5 addresses accept the PO Box course.

My questions are:

1. How long do I wait for a response from the certified letter before contacting an attorney?
  2. Do I also need to contact the NM state royalty auditor? Value added, or no?

Sorry for the novel! It has been a full year and I have never been contacted by anyone affiliated with Petro Mex. I can only assume the worst and am fearful that this outfit has no suspense accounts for myself or other royalty owners.

Thanks in advance.

You should send the certified letter to the registered agent at the address listed with its NM registration. You can find this on the New Mexico Corporation division on Secretary of State website. You may want to have a NM attorney review the language to be sure that you do not set up a problem for yourself. Here is an interesting recent case filed by Hilcorp San Juan against Petro Mex LLC which may be your operator. Hilcorp San Juan, L.P. v. Petro Mex, LLC : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

2 Likes

Thanks for the info and data. Yet another case against this specific operator.