Unpaid Child Support

My daughter has mineral rights but is married to an individual that is thousands of dollars behind in child support payments. She is in Texas, the mineral rights are in New Mexico. Texas can grab most anything except her wages, my question is: Can Texas take mineral rights or mineral rights royalty checks for back child payments?

Your daughter needs to consult her own attorney(s) in areas of family law and oil and gas about this and to protect her assets. Factors include whether her mineral rights are her separate property and whether she has children from this or another marriage and whether they have a prenuptial or a post-nuptial agreement. She may need to file separate tax returns. This is a complicated area. At the same time, fathers have an obligation to support their children and Texas takes this very seriously.

2 Likes

Am I correct to say I read that as a yes - unless measures are taken to prevent it?

1 Like

Your daughter needs to consult her own attorney(s) in areas of family law and oil and gas about this and to protect her assets.- TennisDaze!

1 Like

Visit with a Texas family law attorney. I imagine that your daughter can protect the asset and income therefrom if she does not co-mingle the assets. Separate bank account, etc.

This post is not legal or tax advice and does create an attorney/client relationship.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.