Unknown Mineral Rights (Out of the Blue)

My Mom and Dad passed in 2022 and left us kids some mineral rights and deeds (term?) to some existing leases with active wells. What I don’t know is if there is any additional property with with I have “ownership” (right term?) to. Lo and behold, a lease offer came in the mail from the same company I already know there is a lease with that is in the process of transferring from M&D to me. I reached out to an experienced law office with great experience on OGM to manage the offer. What is the method to find out if there is any other properties that I am being handed down? Thanks so much.

Condolences on the passing of your parents. The attorney’s office can help you find other acreage. Ask them to help you do a title search in the state(s) where you own the minerals that you know about. Then you might want them to look in other oil and gas states if you think there may be more. Search unclaimed funds in the state treasurer’s office for each state and Delaware. If you wish to share the state(s), we can give a list of several websites to search as a quick start.

1 Like

Thank you M_Barnes. The state is WV. I was told the mineral rights were either not appraised, or someone was paying taxes on an heirship. I was provided the name of the heirs, but I just wonder what else could be out there. Again, thank you.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.