Understanding oil lease

I recently inherited mineral intrest and have some questions. One section is rated high, two others are rated medium and two low. It seems to be a large amount of minerals, but I’m far from an expert. What do I do if I’m contacted to lease the mineral rights? Any information or anwsers would be appreciated. Thank You, Jerrilee

1 Like

They will drill with or without u. Take a deal

What do you mean by rated High, Medium and low? I hope you hit a grand slam Home Run! Don’t throw away a big chance to win. Get a really good oil and gas attorney.

I’m thinking that royalty money could really mess up taxes

You would have to give your location in section, township and range to get more specific help. “high, med, low” don’t really mean much without a location.

1 Like

I don’t see how you rank acreage anyway without figuring in drilling risks. Faulted. Underpressured. Overpressured. Distance from takeaway pipeline etc

You will pay more taxes if you have more income. Most people think that is a good problem to have. :grinning:

This post is not legal, tax or investment advice. Reading or responding to this post does not create an attorney/client relationship.

It can also leave u owing massive tax arrears and cleanup costs

I suspect Jerrilee may be referring to the “high”, “medium” and “low” Mineral iQ’s value rating (part of Enverus) that they guesstimate for your mineral interest ownership.

First of all, find out if you already have production on the minerals as you have to contact the operators to get the pay status changed. If you have the section, township and range, you can look them up on the Oklahoma Corporation Commission website. Let us know if you need the links.

If they are not in production, then the forum can be quite helpful in leasing. Read the mineral help tab above to help you start your education path. If you have never leased before, it is very wise to get a good oil and gas attorney to look over any draft leases as they are rarely in the mineral owner’s favor and need significant edits.

1 Like

It’s a complicated business.

1 Like

@Rockhound2 . . . Probably the understatement of the year!! I’m a lost ball in high weeds!

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.