Tyler County WV mineral rights

Hi everyone! New at this first-time poster. Recently discovered by mail that my husband had inherited mineral rights in Tyler County WV. Was sent a letter to modify a contract (we have not even seen yet). It has a few paragraphs talking about pooling. I need to know if I should sign this. Tried contacting a lawyer, they told me to find out how much net mineral acreage that my husband owns. I called to find this out and was told this: 279 acres, 1/29952 ownership. The well is a producing well since 1941 but is about to go dry. The last descendant of these rights died a year ago but they are not holding any royalty payments for us. They also will not tell us the GP site or the API number for the well. I know I am new at all this but this just doesn’t sound legit. Can anyone here help me with this matter. Thanks in advance.

I moved your request over to Tyler County, WV so you will get more traffic and hopefully a good answer.

I am not familiar with WV law, but this sounds like a top lease and you should not sign it without totally understanding it. Sounds like 0.0093149 acres? If the well is still producing and he is the heir, then he should be getting payments, even if very small.

Hopefully, someone from WV can help here.

Thanks for getting back with me. They say there is 279 acres but I don’t understand the ownership breakdown. Does this mean there was almost 30,000 people before us? Thanks

Means that whomever had the original 279 acres split it up into a whole bunch of little pieces, some may be of various sizes. Someone might have gotten bigger portions, such as 200000/29952 or anything like that. You would have to trace the title back through time to see how your piece got carved out. Are there any probate documents? Someone who owns minerals in WV can probably help you with the state Oil and Gas Commission, friendly websites, etc. and how to get started. don’t sign anything until you get a good handle on the whole story. You need to know the well, the production, any pending or past poolings, leasing, etc.

WVDEP- Someone in another WV county just posted this. West Virginia Department of something? Look in the other counties in WV in their topics and see if you can pick up some useful contacts or websites.

They told me there is approximately 240 living people still involved with this lease. They say they have been looking for my husband and his two brothers for over a year when they found us. They sent us a list of people and the obits that go back to the original owner. I just really confused.

I would suggest hiring an attorney, if there is a producing well on the parcel, you are entitled to royalties no matter how small your share. Additionally, I have concerns if you have not been paying the property taxes, that sets off alarms in my head.

Good luck

1 Like

We are not the land owners, just the mineral rights. I have tried to contact several lawyers but none are interested to take the case because of the ownership break down. Was told this is very small. Thanks

Mineral Owners also pay property taxes, not just the land owners.

Feel free to contact me directly and I will give you the names of two attorneys that may be of assistance.

1 Like

I can tell you from personal experience to pay attention to WV_Mineral_Owner. He was key in helping my family and I in our Mineral Rights issues. We followed his advise, contacted an attorney he suggested and we all have smiles on our faces. This industry has a life of its own. Not for the novice. You need them in your corner. Good luck with your journey.

1 Like

Thank you so much. How do I get a hold of you?

Why are y’all telling this person to hire an attorney over such a small amount? The attorney fees they will pay will be more than 40 years of production on that small of an interest. IF it were producing. And they said the well was just about dry.

I know everyone’s go to line is “Hire an attorney” but that is not always the case. Have to use some common sense here.

1 Like

BLH,

No disrespect to you, but a “small amount” can add up to a significant amount. I own a tiny fractional amount of a parcel that has paid in excess of 100,000.00 over the past 20 years. A consultation with an attorney can run less than 1,000.00, which I consider to be inexpensive ‘insurance’. How many mineral owners would be complaining about deductions, if they had leases / pooling modifications reviewed by an attorney prior to signing?

Maybe you are in a higher tax bracket than I, but 100K is not a small amount for a pieon like myself.

(For the record, I am NOT an attorney, nor do I receive any remuneration for recommending any attorneys. Simply, I am someone that has been active in the industry for 12 plus years and recognize the pitfalls of signing documentation without quality advice.)

Good advice, I appreciate all the help and input we can receive from you knowledgeable mineral owners.

no disrespect to you but have you done the calculations on 0.0093149 acres at a 25% royalty in a typical sized unit?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.