TX Pacific Land Trust

Just what does it mean if your land is on The Texas Pacific Land Trust?

Those signs usually indicate the operator of a well. They have leased or own the land below the surface. Call them at the number listed if you have questions.

TPL formed during the bankruptcy of the railroad like 150 years ago. Ended up with 900k acres. Sold some, leased rest, etc. Lots in Reeves and Culberson counties. Sold most of their mineral rights to Texaco (i.e. Chevron now) a long while back. Which is why Chevron’s Delaware position is soooo lucrative. According to TPL website they own the surface in Sec 39 of 59T1S. And minerals in portions of NW4 and SE4 of Sec 39, though I don’t see them in the tax rolls (but I do see Chevron).

Cimarex is the operator of the existing wells in Sec 39. I would guess that is a sign saying “we own the surface here”. I don’t know how any of that relates to your land or what you own.

Older article with TPL info:

4 Likes

Thanks. I stand corrected.

You are a great asset to this forum !

I tried answering back via email but the system wouldn’t allow it. First of all thanks for the information. Second FYI Cimarex & Colton oil have merged or one bought the other out ,I don’t know that part any way Cimarex and Colton are now Coterra Energy.

:+1: Roger. Cimarex + Cabot = Coterra

I would guess it would take a bit for the operator of record to shift to Coterra from Cimarex, I still see checks from Anadarko in Reeves Cty and Oxy bought them in 2019. I’m also old and I don’t like to acknowledge change, typing this on my flip phone :grinning:

Deleted, answer in wrong post.

Coterra is the parent company after the merger of Cimarex and Cabot, both of which remain as operating entities. Both Cimarex and its subsidiary / affiliate Resolute Natural Resources continue as operators in Texas and you should not expect that to change. At this time, Coterra is not an operator in Texas.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.