Tribune Resources LLC and Ascent Resources

This will be my first posting here as I am just now starting to work my way through the process of determining what my aging mother owns and/or leases. We believe we have mineral rights and at least one lease from property in Tyler and Doddridge Counties. We’ll try to sort the details of those out later. In recent years, she was receiving a small (usually around $25) royalty check a couple times a year (at most) from Ascent Resources. Today, she got the check and associated well royalty listings from a company called Tribune Resources LLC. It looks like the same information that Ascent had recently been sending her. Through the years, various companies have been sending her checks, but when there was a change, she usually was notified in some manner. I found Tribune Resources website (it’s new this year) and it looks very much like Ascents website, but with different branding. I found some form of a document on the WV Sec. of State website that seems to indicate that Ascent Resources - Marcellus LLC was renamed as Tribune Resources LLC, but I’m not sure if that’s what it really says. I know there was a bankruptcy proceeding last year for Ascent Resource - Marcellus LLC, but I can’t find anything that connects that to Tribune Resources LLC. Can anyone give me the background on what transpired between Ascent and Tribune Resources? Is Ascent now out of the picture? And is this related to the Australian company named Tribune Resource LLC? They too are in the mineral business.

I guess I’ll answer this question myself (I’m the original poster) since I received an email from Tribune Resources Owner Relations shortly after I made my posting.

From an attachment in the email…

“…effective August 29, 2018, the entity name of Ascent Resources - Marcellus, LLC was changed to Tribune Resources, LLC (“Tribune”).”

The assets from the former Ascent Resources - Marcellus LLC are now managed by Tribune and are formally separated from the rest of Ascent Resources.