Transferring Ownership: Is Mewbourne Legit?

Hello! Some context and then the question: I was just contacted by a rep at Mewbourne looking for my fathers current mailing address. My father apparently owned an interest in a well in Ellis Co, OK. but he passed a few years back and Mewbourne wasn’t aware he was deceased. They have the accrued interest payment $$ they want to send us. I found some lease and affidavit docs on the Ellis Co clerk office site which confirm our family’s previous activity and ownership…, but having a hard time verifying the exact CURRENT status of ownership/lease agreements. (It looks like the most recent lease on file is with EOG Resources, not Mewbourne). I don’t have any deeds or leases and my father didn’t have a will, so we’ll need to go through the intestate succession process in order to set myself and my brother as owners. And obviously Mewbourne will eventually need a W9 and personal info to make the disbursement. Question: I want to know if Mewbourne is legit, if through this whole process of transferring mineral interest ownership, they are scamming us in any way, etc. What do I need to be aware of/watch out for, if a seemingly legit company wants to send us money? And: is there a savvy way to confirm current rights, and transfer ownership without having to hire a landman or attorney?

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Mewbourne is a very reputable Company located in Tyler Texas. Have many interests with them. Great company. Good luck getting your fathers interest settled.

4 Likes

Mewbourne is legitimate. It is common to have multiple partners in a well, so you may have an old lease with EOG, but they are partners in the new horizontal well.

If you know the section, township and range, many of us on the forum can give you more information about the activity there. You can also ask Mewbourne what the new well is and if they are holding funds for you from shallow wells.

If you are dealing with title transfers, it is always wise to get an attorney involved if you care about having it done correctly. Ask Mewbourne what they need to be satisfied to get you into pay status. That does not guarantee title. It only makes them happy. You do need to get the title properly done through the intestate process. If your dad lived in another state, you probably do need legal help to get the title cleared in the first state and then do the proper foreign title filing in OK. It doesn’t have to be expensive. In the meantime, look on the OK Treasurer’s office to see if he has any unclaimed funds.

It is always the responsibility of the heirs to notify the county and the operators of an owner’s death and new heirs.

2 Likes

Thank you very much!

The oil company should not be asking for money from you. Check to see if an Affidavit of Heirship or Probate will be required to put you into pay status.

This post is not legal, tax or investment advice. Reading or responding to this post does not create an attorney/client relationship.