Transferring mineral rights

Hi,

My father left mineral rights in Golden Valley County to my brother and I and I'm trying to find out what needs to be done to transfer the rights into our names. When I called the county I was told to have a lawyer handle it although when I questioned the clerk she said it wasn't required. I did call the law office that handled the transfer from my grandpa to my dad and I was told it would cost $2000. That seems like a lot for what I imagine is only a title search and the recording of a document. I also downloaded a STATEMENT OF CLAIM OF MINERAL INTEREST form and from what I gather from searches on the subject I'm wondering if this form is a good place to start. Any information would be appriciated,

Thank you,

Dave

Unfortunately, if the mineral interest was in your father's name at the tim of his death, a probate of his estate will need to be conducted to transfer the minerals out of the estate. It is not a title search and document recorded. A statement of claim can be filed to prevent the surface owner from claiming title to the minerals under the Lapsed Mineral Act, however it does not convey title in any way.