Transferring Mineral Rights

My mother is wanting to transfer her Howard County, TX, mineral rights to me and my sister so that they don’t go through probate. What is the process to do this? She lives in Iowa.

Have a deed prepared and filed in Howard County conveying her interest to you and your sister.

1 Like

Pay an attorney to draft the Conveyance document. It’s well worth spending roughly $350 to $500 to make sure the document is properly drafted, and doesn’t cloud the title, or omit an interest.

2 Likes

Texas allows Transfer on Death Deeds (TODDs). If the minerals are producing and your mother wants the royalties during her lifetime, a TODD can be executed now, but the minerals don’t convey until her death. They are not included in probate. The attorney can advise you whether a TODD or a regular deed would be best for you and your circumstances.

1 Like

Hi there, We are needing a lawyer to help us with this. My mother who is the beneficiary of the Trust for the mineral rights wants to make me the beneficiary of the trust when she dies. My mom lives in AZ. I live in Oregon. The mineral rights are in Howard Co. And I believe the original trust was done in Oklahoma. What state do we need to get a lawyer to help facilitate this TODD or regular deed. Do you know? Thank you.

@AuntieVoil

You can observe qualified professionals (often with localized expertise) who provide services to mineral owners right here on The Mineral Rights Forum. You will notice them in 3 different places on the site:

• in display image ads and text links on site

• in our Mineral Service Provider Directory in the main navigation bar above. These are arranged by professional discipline.

• as a Business Member within many conversations throughout the site Look for the blue colored “B” on their picture and blue colored text).

These practitioners are often able to provide specific (and often localized) services that meet your needs.

The Mineral Rights Forum Administration