Transferring inherited minerals

hi, my mom was an only child who recently passed away, we have 4 kids in our family, she inherited rights from her mom that have been continually passed down the family line from her family. 14-147N-096w

we do not have much info on this as paperwork isn’t readily available, we have no deed (if you get one for rights) if there was one.

We would like to know if there is any activity in this area now or for potentially in the future, as we are trying to decide if its better to keep or hold for future.

We would also like to know who the leases are from in this area, and how to view any current and past sales of mineral rights

It would be helpful to know how what the process is to transfer into each of our 4 names should we keep the rights.

any other information about this region would be very much appreciated.

thank you very much in advance, eskeno

Hi Eskeno,

I am no lawyer or expert, but my family also has mineral interests in ND. There is a useful website that shows activity based on the section-township-range coordinates; you can find it here Oil and Gas Well Search

The documents on ownership are typically filed in the county where the land is located. When my siblings and I inherited mineral rights, we ended up hiring a local law firm to help us get the ownership probated and moved to our generation.

Best of luck,

Greg

thank you I will take a look!

This map (DMR GIS (nd.gov)) is on the same site, but here’s how it looks.

Continental (Home - Continental Resources (clr.com)) is the operator. Reach out to them, see who they show the title under and see what needs to be done to transfer the interest.

thank you for the map,

looking at this it looks greek to me :slight_smile: can you be more specific on what the markings and lines purple and otherwise on the map are? for example can you tell locations of any active/inactive well sites, and are there any notations on if its gas, oil, or something else? are there any company named leases?

thank you so much in advance, having never been to North Dakota I have no clue.

eskeno

If you click on the link “DMR GIS (nd.gov)” provided by nop_IIc, it will take you to the website where another link will download a file “OGD_MapViewer_LEGEND.pdf” which will describe for you what each mark on the map means.

If you click on and enlarge the map pasted in by nop_IIc, you will see about middle of the map but to the left if center the locations code: T147N-R96W. This means the land pictured is at map location Township 147 North (north-south coordinate) and Range 96 West (east-west coordinate). Looking closer you will see squares with numbers in the center. Above the T147N-R96W code you will see the squares numbered 16 and to its right 15 & 14. These are section numbers. The location of your land you gave as 14-147N-096w. That is section 14, so the land where you interest lies is in the box with the 14 in its center.

The black dots are wells (active wells) and the lines drawn from the dots are horizontal legs of the well, they are the vertical lines you see. Some well have multiple horizontal legs which enhances the production.

Hope this helps, Greg

Eskeno: The process for transferring minerals varies by state and you should contact an attorney that practices in the state where the minerals are located. You don’t necessarily need to find an attorney in the exact county. The process may involve a probate, some states also an affidavit may be a viable alternative.

This post is not legal, tax or investment advice. Reading or responding to this post does not create an attorney/client relationship.

The lines purple and black are wells. The purple looks like either drilling or the vertical section of the wells. This map is looking straight down and is what you would see if you could see under the surface. All the wells are oil and gas with about 80 or 90% being oil. As you can tell it’s pretty much fully produced including your section so you wouldn’t fetch high prices to divest unless you included the backpay, but if you haven’t been paid on all these wells it will be worth cleaning it up and collecting all those royalties yourself.

Richard thank you for your response, this is good to know

nop_llc, thanks for your response, so does fully produced mean the wells have run out of oil?

as far as I remember my gramma told me she inherited only 2 acres from her mom whom she got from her great uncle, he gave all the relatives each a portion of his 160 acres with more or less depending on where you were in the family tree, back in the day families were quite large :slight_smile: although it would be nice to know exactly how much land my great gramma originally received.

so that said do you think dividing 2 acres between 4 siblings is even worth it?

thank you Greg, how do you know if they are active and paying royalties, also do you know what company mines this area?

It means there is little to no room for additional wells. The currently producing wells will go for another few decades, long slow decline. They were drilled about five years ago so the majority has been extracted. Can’t speak to the cost of probate, but there’s probably a few ten thousand dollars in suspense. Reach out to Continental first and see if you can avoid a probate. CLR.com

hello,
I’m sorry to say this but I’ve had the wrong area listed, ours is 145N 093W, there were 2 great uncles in our family owning adjoining land in ND and I wrote down the wrong one, they both owned the land since 1913. if you could give me correct info on this area instead I’d be very thankful

thank you again and sorry I had wrong info to begin with.

Hey, no worries. Not sure what section, but Marathon is the operator in the majority of 145-93 and there is plenty of upside for more production. Go here and reach out to them through the owner relations tab: https://www.marathonoil.com/

Eskeno,

I would refer you again to the links mentioned before - you just use the township 124N and range 092W coordinates. You should use the section designation as well to find your parcel of interest. nop_IIc is correct, Marathon Oil leased land in this area to develop production wells. You can get in touch with their Owner Relations department at Owner Relations

Good Luck,

Greg

thank you all for your answers, we now have a case open with marathon oil, because we all live in other states including my mom we were told we have to have my moms recorded in ND then it will probated, we need to contact mineral rights attorneys to do that for us. does anyone know of any in Dunn County ND, that are honest and wont break the bank that can be recommended? Again your answers and replies are most appreciated! thank you in advance, Eskeno

There are no shortage of attorneys that could do this. Some have been mentioned on this forum. Do you have access to the Dunn County records through ndrin? Usually the attorneys market their names on any probate documents filed of record. Here are some that have done probates in 145-93 in the last few years. Get multiple quotes before you get going.

Solem Law Office Beulah
Lisa V. Mitalski Williston
David C. Piper Dickinson
Pringle & Herigstad, PC Minot

hi nop_llc thank you for your reply, I don’t know what ndrin stands for, thank you for lawyer info.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.