Transfer ownership of property from a deceased parent

In 1991 an 80 acre tract in Reeves county was split off of a trust and made a special warranty deed by and between NCNB Texas National Bank, grantor and 10 grantees. My mother was one of the grantees, she has been deceased for over 2 years.

Based on initial research by a landman, my mother is still listed as a current owner and did not sell or transfer her ownership. My brother and I are rightful heirs to this property because we already inherited other similar properties from our mother from the main trust including another property in Reeves county. I need to start proceedings to transfer ownership.

What do I need to do? What documents are required?

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Do you plan to hold or sell the minerals? Holding, you’ll want to hire a landman or attorney. Selling, the buyer will tell you what needs to be done to cure the title, often times at their expense.

Thank you very much for your help. We want to sell these interests.

What’s the legal description? I can tell you if it’s producing or not. If it is producing, the operator may tell you how to transfer ownership to satisfy their requirements. Alternatively, and as I mentioned in my prior comment, the buyer may help cure the title.

The description I have is 80 acres:

S/2NE/4SW/4, N/2SE/4SW/4, S/2SW/4SW/4 and S/2SE/4SW/4, also known as Tracts 22,27,29 and 30, Brady Syndicate Subdivision as described in Volume 1, page 210 of the Plat Records of Reeves County, Texas, Section 18, Block 55, Township 4 T&P Ry. Co. Survey, Reeves County, Texas

Accordingly, I was told this is Relinquishment Act land.

So you only own surface rights (and are entitled to 1/2 bonus and 1/2 royalties), correct?

1 Like

As far as I know, you are correct, but I don’t have this bonus and royalty data.

Looks like a relatively high gas/oil ratio, but still plenty of oil in the area. Not the best of the best, but still good acreage nonetheless. The current “dry gas” classified well has produced 200,000 barrels of condensate (oil) in the past year. There’s an old, expired permit from Cimarex on there, but otherwise no recent permits or additional wells.

Thanks for your help.

Most who have mineral interests or royalty interests in Reeves don’t sell their interests. Might be best to do due dil to confirm the extent of your interests / rights. You may also want to search for unclaimed property / checks at the Texas State Comptroller’s website, here, just in case: https://claimittexas.org Search under your mother’s name and/or under any of her potential heirs’ names but be prepared to prove your relationship to her. I’d consult with an oil and gas law firm that also has estate / probate lawyers onboard to know your rights and perhaps complete due diligence on your mother’s estate, plus title history / ownership as to properties (surface or minerals).

2 Likes