Transfer of ownership in minerals

Recently inherited some mineral rights and having a hard time getting some company to even let me know if they have been changed into my name let alone tell me how to if not. Please help

It is your responsibility to notify the operator(s) of producing minerals and the county clerk in each county of your inheritance of any minerals in that county. They have no way of knowing unless you tell them and provide proof of inheritance.

Well thats the thing I’ve done that with the ones that didn’t contact me first but there are some, 2 actually that will not response. Cimarex mainly

Have you gone on Cimarex website under 1. Owner Information - 2. Contact - 3. Division orders? Select change of ownership as topic. You can then email or send letter to listed address. You need to include the former owner’s name and Cimarex owner number off a check, copy of recorded deed or probate. If you only leave voice messages on owner royalty relations phone line and you do not have your new owner number, then you are less likely to get a response. If you have already done this and returned division orders in your own name, then on the Cimarex website, select division order inquiry and attach your division order. It is easier to answer questions if you provide more detail about the steps you have taken.

Yes it is your responsibility to ensure the public records reflect your ownership. An attorney can help you with that. Oil and Gas companies only have the responsibility to pay the people who own per title in the county records. They aren’t there to administer legal advice or really help you in getting your affairs in order. Also, they probably have no idea what your title situation is, let alone know how to fix it. And it doesn’t benefit them at all to take the time to do it for you. They also have no way of knowing you are who you say you are. If you really have no idea what to do next, and you care enough about the payments, an attorney would probably be your best bet.

1 Like

I did all that before Christmas and still have heard nothing not a single response. My brother, the executor of the estate has also taken these steps to no avail.

What’s funny is it wasn’t until I found this forum that I realized my “affairs” are actually way more in line than I thought and which is why I can tell u that of course it’s not their responsibility to give me legal advice on my situation, which I never asked for or wanted from them. All I want from them is to do what they are supposed to because I now know I’ve down what I was supposed to in fact I’ve done it, my brother has done it and all this after our lawyer already took the appropriate steps in making them aware as soon as everything was probated. So sense we have established they are not there to give me advice or help me get my affairs in line and given that I now know I’ve done my part and they STILL haven’t changed it over into our names or EVEN RESPONED in anyway. I think its fair to say that the problem isn’t the lack of a willingness to hold my hand or guide me through this it’s their lack of a willingness to actually hold up their end. Not a big suprise to me because like you said it don’t benefit them at all…

It is helpful to send a certified return return receipt letter with any owner number (if you have it) when requesting payment. The owner number is on the check stub. That way you know who received your letter and can keep after them. It can take several weeks. If your minerals are in OK, then you can check the Oklahoma Corporation Commission well records site to see if the well has been sold to someone else. Let us know if you need help how to do that.

Sorry to hear of your issues. One thing you might do is contact the company and ask for title requirements to get the royalties in “pay status”. This will normally inform you of the steps or information needed, at least from their perspective.


If the minerals are located in a different state than the probate, you will likely need to file a probate in the state where the minerals are located. Often states, like Oklahoma, have expedited processes in such cases.

1 Like