Transfer Mineral Rights from Deceased

I inherited mineral rights from my mother 20 years ago. There are in ND, MT, and a few in Canada. Some are leased and producing and others not. These mineral rights are part of a Limited Partnership I formed with my sister. I had a cousin who had the same set of mineral rights and same shares. He recently passed away and had no will but my sister and I are his only surviving heirs and are dealing with his estate. We would like to transfer his mineral rights to our Limited Partnership. My guess is that they will need to go through probate in his state of Massachusetts and we have an attorney there to help. I assume I will also need to hire some legal help in the oil/gas business to do this correctly in ND, MT, and Canada. Can anyone recommend someone who they have worked with and were satisfied with?

You can observe qualified professionals (often with localized expertise) who provide services to mineral owners right here on The Mineral Rights Forum. You will notice them among 3 different instances on the site:

• in display image ads and/or brief text messaging on site

• in our Mineral Service Provider Directory in the main navigation above. These are arranged by professional discipline.

• as a Business Member participating in many conversations throughout the site (note the blue colored “B” on their picture and blue text on their posts).

These practitioners are often able to provide the specific (and often localized) services that meet your needs.

The Mineral Rights Forum Administration

You will have to probate the will in his home state and then file foreign probates in each of the states/provinces where he had minerals. You will need to find attorneys in each of those areas to help. The first attorney may be able to help you find the additional ones. You may need to consult the attorney listings in those other regions to find probate attorneys. There may be some in the Directories tab above. The local chapters of the National Association of Royalty owners may be able to direct you to several names.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.