Total Contributing Acres

We have mineral rights for natural gas in Wetzel county, WV. Production began this year.

We asked for and received the breakdown of the math formula for our decimal interest. It showed the total contributing acreage as 703.99 acres, but on our lease it shows 265 acres as the tract size and we have 1/36 of that.

Is there a way to tell if the total contributing acres in the decimal interest equation is correct?

When I called EQT they said the natural gas pipe runs through many different parcels, which make up the 703.99 acres. They could not tell me what parcels nor give me a map of the pipe’s location.

Is there any way I can get exact information on the horizontal well and its length? Our lease is with EQT and they previously made a mistake on the decimal interest formula, which we caught and they corrected. I just want to make sure they are giving me the correct total acreage.

In general, the equation for royalties is:

net acres/spacing acres x royalty. In Oklahoma and Texas another term is on the end, so maybe someone in WV can help with the WV calculation.

What royalty do you have? Your net acres may be 7.3611111. (265/36) . Does 7.361111/703.99 x your royalty equal the decimal on the Division Order?

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply.

We have a little over 7 acres of the 265. 7/265 = 1/36. My equation is -

Contributing lease acres/total unit acres x lease ownership x royalty 216/703.99 x 1/36 x .18

It’s 216 instead of 265 cause that is the net acres, which is what they use instead of gross.

1 Like

Do you have the name of the unit for the well? If so, there should be a way to see the declaration of pooling document.