Tornado

Some of you may have heard that the Devon Energy plant that processes the gas from the Cana Woodford wells in the area got hit by a tornado yesterday. The plant is about 3 miles south of Calumet. The tornado also hit a drilling rigs just north of the plant that is operated by Cactus drilling. The were drilling a well for Cimarex, I think. Here is a picture of the rig, sorry it is of such poor quality but I think someone took it with a cellphone. Tornado.jpg

Hope everyone is safe.

Hi Do you know how bad the plant was damaged. Down Time? Thanks Larry

I forgot to mention I am a mineral owner in well Continental Resources is in process of completing in Section 1 16N 14 W Dewey county so hope plant is not down long.

Cactus Rig 117 in Canadian County, OK near El Reno

20 crew reported injured, but not sure of extent -- no fatalities. Rumor is the crew rode it out in the change house.

I really have no idea how much the plant was damaged or how long it will be down. I hope not long.

Larry Trook said:

wow !!!

Buddy Cotten said:

20 crew reported injured, but not sure of extent -- no fatalities. Rumor is the crew rode it out in the change house.

Buddy Cotten

See attachment for powerpoint presentation on destruction.

Here is a story from todays Oklahoman

Oklahoma tornadoes: Devon Energy plant idled by damage

Devon Energy Corp. has shut down a natural gas processing plant damaged in Tuesday's tornado near Calumet.

BY JAY F. MARKS jmarks@opubco.com Oklahoman

Published: May 26, 2011

It will be a number of weeks before Devon Energy Corp. gets its new natural gas processing plant near Calumet back online after it was damaged by flying debris from a Tuesday tornado, a company spokesman said.

The storm destroyed a drilling rig being operated nearby by Denver-based Cimarex Energy Co.

Devon officials are assessing the damage to the $140 million plant, but spokesman Chip Minty said it likely will take several weeks to determine the extent of the damage and repair it.

Nobody injured

He said no one was injured when a tornado struck a salvage yard near the plant, located just north of Interstate 40 near Calumet.

“We knew this storm was coming so we had time to shut this plant in and secure it,” Minty said. “All of our employees were able to move into our on-site storm shelter.”

No one was injured when the Cimarex-operated rig near the Devon plant was hit by Tuesday's tornado, said Steve Bell, the company's senior vice president. He said the rig, owned by Oklahoma City's Cactus Drilling Co., was evacuated before the tornado hit.

In the aftermath of the storm, Devon has shut production at some of its wells in the Cana play until the company can find some alternate processing capacity.

The damaged plant was capable of processing up to 200 million cubic feet of gas a day, Minty said. Devon has been producing about 160 million cubic feet of gas a day in western Oklahoma.

He said Devon can move about 50 million cubic feet of dry gas a day to a large compressor station in the area, but the company is working with some third-party processors to take up the slack from its damaged plant.

Chesapeake Energy Corp. and Continental Resources Inc. reported some minor damage to their facilities in the area as well, but nothing that impeded operations.

Larry Trook said:

Buddy Cotten said:

Buddy Cotten

See attachment for powerpoint presentation on destruction.

2977-CactusRig117TornadoHit.pdf (3.62 MB)