Torn about selling mineral rights

Hi,

I'm new to the forum but I was hoping for some advice as I've been struggling to make a decision on a a purchase offer I received for the following tracts in Creek County:

Section 24-T18N-R10E

E/2 E/2 W/2 SW/4 NW/4 & E/2 SW/4 NW/4 & W/2 W/2 SE/4 NW/4 & W/2 E/2 W/2 SE/4 NW/4 & E/2 NW/4 SW/4 & W/2 NE/4 SW/4 & SE/4 SW/4 & W/2 SW/4 SW/4 & N/2 NW/4 NW/4

Section 20-T17N-R11E

NE/4

I own 80 acres in each and the offer is $250 an acre. The acres are not producing and are unleased.

I'm considering selling half and keeping half. I'm torn because the money would be helpful, but I'm not sure if the price is right and if I'm being too short sighted. I'm also concerned that if I hold onto everything that they will sit undeveloped for decades if not longer and I passed up a good opportunity to sell.

Does anyone have any advice they could offer or insights on these tracts, the price offered, or Creek County in general? Thank you for your help!

Justin

Justin, I wouldn't lease any properties to a land man for $250-, much less sell for that. Once it's gone so is any potential for future income. I am not leasing any of my remaining Creek County acres unless the offer starts with a 3. Any offer to buy is ignored or get's a loud "NO". That's just me.

Thanks Mark. With oil prices down I know there isn't much activity, but have you received a lot of lease offers in the past and/or has there been much activity in Creek the last few years?

Yes, a lot. Scroll back through the forum. After a few offers I joined this forum and discovered that Creek County is sitting on the old Cushing-Drumright field. That was before there was a market for Nat Gas. The old timers only scratch the surface IMHO. Then I discovered that the technology in the industry had rapidly changed and developed. Growth in technology is being spurred by the decline in the price of oil. Profit is now possible at a much lower price per bbl.

http://www.geglobalresearch.com/news/press-releases/ge-selects-oklahoma-city-site-for-new-global-hub-of-oil-gas-technology-innovation

There is still leasing going on even in adjoining counties that don't have the potential that Creek Co. does. I recently leased acres in three sections in Okmulgee Co.

I believe we are one election and a pipeline away from becoming a net exporter of NatGas to the world. Disclaimer: I have no psychic powers.

Thanks again Mark! I appreciate the detailed insight. It helps give me hope that hanging on to the rights may be worth the wait.

Justin,

Hard to give you a definitive answer, but I can give some general thoughts. When prices are low like this, many companies send out generic offers at a low price just to see if they can pick up acreage. If you get one offer, it is many times one of those generic ones and doesn't indicate much. Those offers are generally low to the actual value of the acreage. If you are in an active area and get multiple offers, then that usually means they know something you don't know, want to make a profit and usually offer half or so to what the acreage is worth. I saw that you "friended" me. Let's talk there. There are a couple of companies that you do not want to deal with.

Personally, I would hang onto them. That offer is low.....I have been offered $250 3/16 on some of my Creek acreage, so I would rather lease than sell.

Hi Justin,

Here is my recommendation. I think you should test the market slowly. And by testing the market, that means giving it a lot of sellers a look at it. Suppose you sell 5 acres at an online auction. You can set a reserve of $250/acre and see if their are any perhaps some more robust buyers out there. I would be happy to share my experience of going through this process. PM me if you'd like to know more.