Top Lease Warning

Be aware of the following language in a top lease. This may not stop a current operator from drilling, but the operator you sign a top lease with can file a lawsuit and WILL result in holding your royalty payment until it’s settled. Any legal experts out there tell me if I’m wrong, but this is happening as we speak in Cass County, TX.

The Lessor understands a legal action may be filed on the mineral owners’ behalf seeking a judgment that the prior or existing lease to (XYZ Company) has expired, or in the alternative that (XYZ Company) has pooled the lease to them in bad faith. Lessor appoints Lessee as their special agent with full and complete power to take all necessary steps to obtain a release or judicial termination of the lease to (XYZ Company) on the leased premises. Said power of agency shall include the power to hire and retain counsel to file the litigation in the name of the Lessor; and the power to pursue such legal action in the courts of the State of Texas in the name of and on behalf of the Lessor

Personally, I am not a fan of top leases due to the possible legal issues.

Here is a good article that addresses the problems.
An Overview of Recurring and Related Issues Involving Top Leasing.pdf (210.2 KB)

1 Like

I recently turned down an offer to top lease with a substantial bonus payable upon signing. Seemed too risky to me. Are there any advantages to a top lease lessor besides a quick bonus that I may have overlooked? JimB

I am not a fan of top leases due to the potential legal problems.

An Overview of Recurring and Related Issues Involving Top Leasing.pdf (210.2 KB)

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.