Title Search of Mineral Rights Ownership

My brothers and I own mineral rights in Atoka County, OK (Lot 1 & SE/4 NE/4 of Section 3, Township 3 South, Range 12 East) and I would like to have a title search done to determine the exact amount of acres we own. Does anyone know any landman or attorney in the area who can do this title search and how much it costs to do such search? Is one better than the other for conducting the search? Any advice would be appreciated.

Do you have any documents regarding that tract? Lot one has 39.40 acres and your SE4 NE4 is right under it at 40 acres. That would have been the original gross acres. If you have a deed and then probate documents, you can probably figure it out yourself. For example, if grandpa had the original 79.4 acres and he divided it equally into two, then each person has 39.70 acres, etc. Then if that person had four kids, you divide by four and get 9.925 acres for the grandkids. You just need to know how many folks it got passed to and what fraction each person received at each level. If you are lucky, the records will be filed in the Atoka County Courthouse. You can search with www.okcountyrecords.com

Mary- M_Barnes has put you on the right tract. My advice is to let the process work for you instead of spending money, let the landmen come to you. When and if companies are interested in exploration in your area, the landman will do a title examination to determine what you own and get in touch with you to negotiate a lease. The most important thing is for you and you brothers to have your correct contact information filed against this property in the Atoka County Clerk’s office so interested parties can get in contact with you.

Todd M. Baker

I needed something checked in the old Atoka Records and Troy Curtis was able to help with that. It was about 4 years ago. I had kept his information from a post he made on this forum. I was well satisfied. You might be able to locate him, or perhaps just wait, and update your information with the county, as has been suggested.

Atoka county has online records back to November 1999. https://okcountyrecords.com/search/atoka#advanced-search

Thank you for your response. I went on the website and found the oil and gas leases that my brothers and I signed back in 2009. I do have a judgment that was recorded in Atoka County dated August 31, 1982 dividing the 80 acres between my Dad and my Grandmother. I have a copy of my Grandma’s will leaving her entire estate to my Dad and her foster son. When my grandmother died, her foster son had had no contact with my Dad or her for many years and his address is unknown. I’m not sure how those acres would have went to my Dad as I do not have any paper work showing that my Dad acquired her 1/2 of the 80 acres. I am trying to find out what I need to do to acquire those additional 40 acres that my grandmother left to my father (who has since passed) and his acres were divided between my brothers and I.

There are several attorneys listed in the Directory above. Richard Winblad has commented on estate items many times.

1 Like

On occasion there is a need to resolve more than one probate estate. Fortunately Oklahoma has a procedure to do this. It is known as a joint probate and saves the cost of multiple probate actions.