Thickness of Formations

My question relates to the minimum thickness of a formation in order for an oil company to consider drilling a horizontal well? For example, in the Bakken Formation area, if the thickness of the formation was 72', would this adequete for a horizontal drill to be considered?

Charles, from the logs in the wellfiles I have studied, that is more than enough.

r w:

Thanks for the info. I was informed that the Bakken Formation was around the 72' mark in the area of MT where I have minerals. The breakdown was: Madison @ 8837; Lodgepole @ 9673; Bakken @ 10235; and TF @ 10307. This area is just across the ND/MT border in Roosevelt County just below the Sheridan/Roosevelt County line. As the migration goes West into MT, I feel some drilling will occur in this area. I just did not know if the thickness of the Bakken would warrent a possible horizontal drill in this area. Have you heard any news about the future drilling in MT ?

r w kennedy said:

Charles, from the logs in the wellfiles I have studied, that is more than enough.

Charles I have recently looked at some wells in a similar area and they looked practical, no monsters but I wouldn't turn them down. Also it's a relatively new area and more drillbit analysis can only help to make the wells better. Something like my early ND wells, that with a less than ideal frack sand mix and only half the frack stages that are the norm today, wells drilled/completed now and in the future will be better. You may have to wait a little longer, but I think waiting will pay dividends. I only recently have looked at what was going on in Montana, so I can't compare to what it looked like even last year, but the number of permits looks promising.

rw:

Thanks for the reply and yes, I will bide my time on this MT acreage and hope that one day, some good wells will be drilled in the area. I also have a little acreage in the Sheridan County area just to the North and new permits have been increasing in that area. For now, I will concentrate on the acreage I have in ND (Williams County) and worry about this other at a later time. I know that if I get a chance for a new lease in this area, it will look alot different than in 2008 when I got $100/bonus and 15% royalty. Thanks again for the info.

r w kennedy said:

Charles I have recently looked at some wells in a similar area and they looked practical, no monsters but I wouldn't turn them down. Also it's a relatively new area and more drillbit analysis can only help to make the wells better. Something like my early ND wells, that with a less than ideal frack sand mix and only half the frack stages that are the norm today, wells drilled/completed now and in the future will be better. You may have to wait a little longer, but I think waiting will pay dividends. I only recently have looked at what was going on in Montana, so I can't compare to what it looked like even last year, but the number of permits looks promising.

Charles, I spoke with a guy from Fortworth a couple of weeks ago. They are currently drilling some test wells near our acerage- 28N 22- R51e in Roosevelt County.

Tom

charles s mallory said:

r w:

Thanks for the info. I was informed that the Bakken Formation was around the 72' mark in the area of MT where I have minerals. The breakdown was: Madison @ 8837; Lodgepole @ 9673; Bakken @ 10235; and TF @ 10307. This area is just across the ND/MT border in Roosevelt County just below the Sheridan/Roosevelt County line. As the migration goes West into MT, I feel some drilling will occur in this area. I just did not know if the thickness of the Bakken would warrent a possible horizontal drill in this area. Have you heard any news about the future drilling in MT ?

r w kennedy said:

Tom:

I knew that Ft Worth has been somewhat active in Sheridan County and I believe has several permits pending. It will be interesting to see what happens if or when widespread drilling begins in this Eastern Montana area. Until this occurs, I don't believe that we can actually realize what the potential of this area will be and if a few good wells are drilled the pace should pick up. I am not acually sure what operator holds the majority of the mineral acreages in this Roosevelt County area. I do know that numerous acreages are nearing expiration dates and either multiple new leases will be negotiated or top leasing will be a common practice over the next few months. Thanks for sharing your info.

Tom McLarnan said:

Charles, I spoke with a guy from Fortworth a couple of weeks ago. They are currently drilling some test wells near our acerage- 28N 22- R51e in Roosevelt County.

Tom

charles s mallory said:

r w:

r w kennedy said: