The Tax Man Cometh

I got my tax bill today (was expecting it next April), approx $8700. From what I’ve been reading here, it seems to be fairly common practice to protest. True? And what is that protest based on? Deadline is Nov 18. Thanks for your input.

There are a couple of interesting discussions on this forum, see “Reeves County Appraisal District Valuation” and “New Reeves County Income Tax”.

Some discussion involves new wells, especially where minerals are produced and taxed for the first time.

Several people claimed success of 27%-30% with protests. Many advise asking your operator if the operator protested the valuation. Some successful protests involve new wells that commenced mid-year, valuation firm relied on RRC production data, but the operator furnished more recent data proving the depletion curve is steeper than early months RRC data.

You should have received an estimated tax on your Minerals sometime during the Summer and the actual tax bills are usually sent out prior to Octorber 31st. When you receive the estimated tax notice, you should also receive a notice of when and how to protest any increases. The protests have to be made before an equalization board prior to the taxing district certifying the annual tax roll.

Just got the notice this week and it did have instructions on how to file. Deadline Mid Nov.

Take it to your accountant. It’s an estimate.