Terry county, who did my mom lease my Mineral rights too?

I own 468 acers in section 70 in brownfield tx along with the Mineral right there and others spread through out the area. In about 2011 I believe my mother (I was underage) leased my land to an oil company. Is there anyway I can figure out who she leased it to? She wasn’t very helpful when I was trying to figure out what she leased it for and for how long she leased to them… (She said she thinks its a "forever lease… is that even a thing)

I believe I might have been drastically under paid for this lease as well, from what I’ve been reading from others in the area leasing thier Mineral rights around 2011.

My mother said she believed the company might have gone bankrupt also…

I noticed no one ever drilled around me and basically only one part of brown field was drilled on. Can anyone explain this more?

Aslo I had my lawyer email me a copy stating where all the Mineral rights I own and I believe they are listed under Curruth Family LTD, which is my greatgrand parents last name…

Hi Carly, Terry County is divided into Blocks and then Sections. Do you know what Block your section 70 is located in? ex: Block T, Block D-11, Block DD

Regarding a “forever lease” your mother may have meant that the lease is in effect so long as there is production. Is there a currently producing well there?

Do you have a copy of the lease? It is possible the lease was filed in the county courthouse. The Terry County Clerk’s office can help you locate it. By reading the lease you will be able to determine the length of the lease and circumstances under which the lease would expire.

If the minerals are owned by Carruth Family LTD you will also need to know what your share of the interest is and to whom it is distributed.

When you have that information (exact location of the mineral lease, a copy of the lease and Carruth Family Ltd documents) you will be ready to track down the answers to your questions. A good place to find information regarding a well is the Texas Railroad Commission website. https://www.rrc.state.tx.us/ Use the Public GIS map to locate the property in question. I suggest viewing the short tutorial first. If there is a well on the property you can use the identity tool to learn more about the well, including current operator, whether the well is producing or not and more. The RRC website is a great source for information available to royalty owners.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.