Temporary Well Spacing Application

Is it customary for an operator to send a letter to the mineral rights holder when a temporary spacing application will be filed with the appropriate state agency? In the past, operators have filed temp. spacing applications with state agencies and we never recieved any correspence from the company. Just recently, an operator sent us via Federal Express, a letter concerning an upcoming temp. spacing application.

It sounds like courtesy to me Mr. Mallory, or they really intend to drill. I applaud courtesy, and I hope the drill or not drill comes out in your favor.

Mr. Kennedy:

Thanks for the info. This was the first time I had this happen and I was curious if others had this incident happen. This spacing involves about 40 net mineral acres located in Sheridan County Montana. I had almost forgot about these minerals as my focus has been the ND area. I am curious if this company really intends to drill on this area as the area is located about 1 to 2 miles from the ND border. This would really be a pleasant surprise.

r w kennedy said:

It sounds like courtesy to me Mr. Mallory, or they really intend to drill. I applaud courtesy, and I hope the drill or not drill comes out in your favor.

Charles, In a recent post you indicated you owned rights near ours. I spoke with a woman from Houch Energy last week. She reported they planned on 100 new wells for the area.

charles s mallory said:

Mr. Kennedy:

Thanks for the info. This was the first time I had this happen and I was curious if others had this incident happen. This spacing involves about 40 net mineral acres located in Sheridan County Montana. I had almost forgot about these minerals as my focus has been the ND area. I am curious if this company really intends to drill on this area as the area is located about 1 to 2 miles from the ND border. This would really be a pleasant surprise.

r w kennedy said:

Thomas:

We have minerals in T30N;R59E;Sec 6&7 and also in T31N;R59E;Sec 31 (Roosevelt and Sheridan Counties). Where are you're minerals located and what area are these wells to be drilled? All of my minerals are temp. spaced but Marathon had contacted us regarding these minerals in Sheridan Co. in regards to drilling later this year or the first Q of next year. I believe these areas will began to see additional activity in 2012 and 2013. I might get a chance to re-lease my minerals which would be good as the bonus/%royalties have increased greatly since 2008. Also, who is Houch Energy? I have never heard of this company. Thanks for the info on the new wells.

Thomas Alan McLarnan said:

Charles, In a recent post you indicated you owned rights near ours. I spoke with a woman from Houch Energy last week. She reported they planned on 100 new wells for the area.

charles s mallory said:

Mr. Kennedy:

r w kennedy said:

Charles, As I have stated I am just learning. Houch is or was Fortworth Oil. Our rights are sec. 22 township 28 ridge 51e and sec 28, town 28, ridge 51east. I believe Houch is currently drilling in sec 29. The woman reported one platform had sunk due as the long winter had softened the ground.

charles s mallory said:

Thomas:

We have minerals in T30N;R59E;Sec 6&7 and also in T31N;R59E;Sec 31 (Roosevelt and Sheridan Counties). Where are you’re minerals located and what area are these wells to be drilled? All of my minerals are temp. spaced but Marathon had contacted us regarding these minerals in Sheridan Co. in regards to drilling later this year or the first Q of next year. I believe these areas will began to see additional activity in 2012 and 2013. I might get a chance to re-lease my minerals which would be good as the bonus/%royalties have increased greatly since 2008. Also, who is Houch Energy? I have never heard of this company. Thanks for the info on the new wells.

charles s mallory said:

Mr. Kennedy:

r w kennedy said:

Thomas:

Your minerals are located to the South of us and yes it appears some new drill locations are in this part of the Eastern Montana area. Be sure and post any news that you hear about this company as I'm hoping the area drilling escalates in the near future.

Charles, As I have stated I am just learning. Houch is or was Fortworth Oil. Our rights are sec. 22 township 28 ridge 51e
and sec 28, town 28, ridge 51east. I believe Houch is currently drilling in sec 29. The woman reported one platform had sunk due as the long winter had softened the ground.

charles s mallory said:

Thomas:

We have minerals in T30N;R59E;Sec 6&7 and also in T31N;R59E;Sec 31 (Roosevelt and Sheridan Counties). Where are you're minerals located and what area are these wells to be drilled? All of my minerals are temp. spaced but Marathon had contacted us regarding these minerals in Sheridan Co. in regards to drilling later this year or the first Q of next year. I believe these areas will began to see additional activity in 2012 and 2013. I might get a chance to re-lease my minerals which would be good as the bonus/%royalties have increased greatly since 2008. Also, who is Houch Energy? I have never heard of this company. Thanks for the info on the new wells.

charles s mallory said:

Mr. Kennedy:

r w kennedy said:

Charles, I am wondering when the 7 wells in section 22 gained their status as plugged, dry etc. I guess the real question is; are these old vertical wells or more recent horizontal? Thanks, Tom

Charles, As I have stated I am just learning. Houch is or was Fortworth Oil. Our rights are sec. 22 township 28 ridge 51e and sec 28, town 28, ridge 51east. I believe Houch is currently drilling in sec 29. The woman reported one platform had sunk due as the long winter had softened the ground.

charles s mallory said:

Thomas:

We have minerals in T30N;R59E;Sec 6&7 and also in T31N;R59E;Sec 31 (Roosevelt and Sheridan Counties). Where are you’re minerals located and what area are these wells to be drilled? All of my minerals are temp. spaced but Marathon had contacted us regarding these minerals in Sheridan Co. in regards to drilling later this year or the first Q of next year. I believe these areas will began to see additional activity in 2012 and 2013. I might get a chance to re-lease my minerals which would be good as the bonus/%royalties have increased greatly since 2008. Also, who is Houch Energy? I have never heard of this company. Thanks for the info on the new wells.

charles s mallory said:

Mr. Kennedy:

r w kennedy said:

Thomas:

I am nearly certain these are old verticle wells. This area, including my area, has numerous old wells which are plugged. You can access this same information by going to the "Million Dollar Way" website; scroll down until you see the "eser" appear on the far right hand side; click on this and a map will appear where you can zoom in on the Eastern Montana area and as you zoom in closer, the Township/Range/Section will appear. The red dots are these old wells and the green dots are active wells. Hope this helps for future references.

Charles, I am wondering when the 7 wells in section 22 gained their status as plugged, dry etc.
I guess the real question is; are these old vertical wells or more recent horizontal?
Thanks, Tom

charles s mallory said:

Thomas:

charles s mallory said:

Mr. Kennedy:

r w kennedy said:

Charles, Thanks for response & info on the website. My thought is that if they drilled in the area before, they did it for a reason and hopefully they will come back and go at it again with the updated methods.

charles s mallory said:

Thomas:

I am nearly certain these are old verticle wells. This area, including my area, has numerous old wells which are plugged. You can access this same information by going to the “Million Dollar Way” website; scroll down until you see the “eser” appear on the far right hand side; click on this and a map will appear where you can zoom in on the Eastern Montana area and as you zoom in closer, the Township/Range/Section will appear. The red dots are these old wells and the green dots are active wells. Hope this helps for future references.

Charles, I am wondering when the 7 wells in section 22 gained their status as plugged, dry etc.
I guess the real question is; are these old vertical wells or more recent horizontal?
Thanks, Tom

charles s mallory said:

Thomas:

charles s mallory said:

Mr. Kennedy:

r w kennedy said:

Thomas:

You are exactly right in your thinking. Today, they are drilling to a different zone and utilizing the horizontal drilling method which is allowing them to drill into this fertile formation with outstanding success. Very few dry holes have been drilled since this horizontal drilling. Also, the seismic tests which are conducted in areas nearly assure the operators good results, sometimes great results. One problem slowing down drilling is the lack of rigs and the lack of frack crews in this Williston Basin area. Hopefully, more of each will migrate into these areas over the next few years.

Charles, Thanks for response & info on the website.
My thought is that if they drilled in the area before, they
did it for a reason and hopefully they will come back
and go at it again with the updated methods.

charles s mallory said:

Thomas:

I am nearly certain these are old verticle wells. This area, including my area, has numerous old wells which are plugged. You can access this same information by going to the "Million Dollar Way" website; scroll down until you see the "eser" appear on the far right hand side; click on this and a map will appear where you can zoom in on the Eastern Montana area and as you zoom in closer, the Township/Range/Section will appear. The red dots are these old wells and the green dots are active wells. Hope this helps for future references.

Thanks, Tom

charles s mallory said:

Thomas:

charles s mallory said:

Mr. Kennedy:

r w kennedy said: