Temporary Spacing Unit Question

Can someone explain what a temporary spacing unit is, and if I am included in a temporary spacing unit, will I be included in the permanent spacing unit too?

Good question. I wonder if it is like a provisional spacing to see if anyone objects ? I would be interested in the answer also.

A spacing unit is required of Bakken Horizontel wells because the well goes down AND turns and covers ALL of that spacing unit, Most will be two sections(1280 acres) There are a few sections close to the Mt/ND border that are just one section and you can NOT have multi-state spacing. If you watch the meetings in your state you can see if you have been included in one and by what company. My Wells are in Montana; this is the website for applications for spacing units...http://dnrc.mt.gov/EnvironmentalDocuments/Default.asp and ND has one as well. They usually go down one corner of the one section and than go 1 1/2 miles accross to the end of the second sectionl. After drilling, the pipe is Perforated to allow oil to accumulate, and than "Fraced" to break loose more oil!! My one well did 11,000 barrels the first month!!! Good Luck

Congratulations on your well. I love to hear the success stories! Any idea why they would call it temporary spacing ? I assume that the well will be less temporary, hope so anyway.

Wow, 11,000 barrels in the first month. That must have been exciting.

Dctex99 said:

A spacing unit is required of Bakken Horizontel wells because the well goes down AND turns and covers ALL of that spacing unit, Most will be two sections(1280 acres) There are a few sections close to the Mt/ND border that are just one section and you can NOT have multi-state spacing. If you watch the meetings in your state you can see if you have been included in one and by what company. My Wells are in Montana; this is the website for applications for spacing units...http://dnrc.mt.gov/EnvironmentalDocuments/Default.asp and ND has one as well. They usually go down one corner of the one section and than go 1 1/2 miles accross to the end of the second sectionl. After drilling, the pipe is Perforated to allow oil to accumulate, and than "Fraced" to break loose more oil!! My one well did 11,000 barrels the first month!!! Good Luck

RE: temporary spacing; I think it is an oil legal term as OUR well is what is called a "1H Ecopad" which means they can drill up to 4 wells on that ONE pad and all go to different levels and produce well! It is a 250,000 square foot pad. I believe that North Dakota has some 4 section pads so they can go TWO directions from one pad!

Yes, our well did Great its first month; down quite a little the second; hopefully will come back!!