Temporary spacing unit in Rosebud County, Montana

Rosebud County, Montana

Hi,

I see where there is a request for a temporary spacing unit be added by an oil company to a parcel of land close to where we own oil and mineral rights. What is a spacing unit and how does it work? And why only a temporary one?

The spacer unit is to be placed to drill a horizontal Heath formation well.

I have no idea of how close this may be to our property. If the horizontal well is at

Township 12 N Range 31E Section 27

We have two parcels, any idea of how close the spacing unit is to ours which is located:

Township 10 North, Range 33 East section 3 lots

Township 11 North, Range 33 East section 34

Thank you kindly for any information

Dianne Peterson

PS sorry for the poor "copy and paste" job.

Dianne,

As to your relative location, your minerals are apx. 6 miles south and 12 miles east of the well location.

Eastern MT:

I suppose that you reside in the Eastern Montana area and was wondering what you hearing about the Bakken play in Roosevelt County. Drilling activity has been slowly growing but just about all Eastern areas of the county have been spaced. We have minerals in T30N;R59E and our area has been spaced by EOG. I keep watching the Montana O & G website for permits close to our area. If you know or have heard anything about future drilling activity in this area, please let me know as I live in East Texas and all the information I get is from this forum.

Eastern MT said:

Dianne,

As to your relative location, your minerals are apx. 6 miles south and 12 miles east of the well location.

Thank you, that gives me some idea of where the activity is.

Eastern MT said:

Dianne,

I keep hearing that we are on a “gas bubble” and that the area will be drilled just as soon as they run a natural gas line out in the Rosebud County area. Has anyone heard of such a development? Dianne
charles s mallory said:

Eastern MT:

I suppose that you reside in the Eastern Montana area and was wondering what you hearing about the Bakken play in Roosevelt County. Drilling activity has been slowly growing but just about all Eastern areas of the county have been spaced. We have minerals in T30N;R59E and our area has been spaced by EOG. I keep watching the Montana O & G website for permits close to our area. If you know or have heard anything about future drilling activity in this area, please let me know as I live in East Texas and all the information I get is from this forum.

Eastern MT said:

Dianne,

Mr. Mallory,

Yes I live in Montana. Unfortunately I don't have an interest in Roosevelt, Sheridan or Richland counties. My nearest are in Daniels Co., MT apx 75 miles to NW of yours (or east into Dakota). So I have not been watching your area. Looking at the map I like the location you described. It should be an excellent area to participate in the Montana portion of the "rockin Bakken". In a general sense there 'seems to be' increased attention on Roosevelt Co, MT, and there has been growth in adjacent Williams Co, ND. So they should be coming your way... from one direction or the other.

Like you I keep an eye on the weekly MT O&G Commission reports. To some degree I suspect drilling is being dictated by how soon the leased acres are coming open. Over in northern Mountrail Co, ND, EOG has had a great track record. They sytematically expanded their production by step out drilling. So I'd feel comfortable having them as your operator. Good luck. If I hear anything specific I will post it for you.

charles s mallory said:

Eastern MT:

Eastern MT said:

Dianne,

Dianne, in general your area had some fairly shallow oil and gas production for many years. I can't really say anything about being on a "Gas Bubble", perhaps you are. Nor have I heard of any pipeline planned to service Rosebud or Garfield counties. Unfortunately, Montana is cursed with some enviro extremists who make a hobby out of killing every project associated with oil, gas, or coal. I don't have a problem with environmentalists, but I have a big problem with these fringe groups. They are never satisfied with any fossil fuels project. For an example see efforts to stop the billion dollar Keystone pipeline. So simply based upon the expense of fighting endless lawsuits don't hold your breath waiting for any local pipeline project.

"Gas bubble", maybe? Though there has been renewed interest in the Heath Shale formation for oil. To date the attention has been further west of your interest. Speculation is that it has potential to extend towards your property and then well beyond.

I probably won't hear much from the people who leased us until the lease is about to end, then the wild tales will start again. Such seems the case ... for our family anyway. Thank you for your reply.
Eastern MT said:

Dianne, in general your area had some fairly shallow oil and gas production for many years. I can't really say anything about being on a "Gas Bubble", perhaps you are. Nor have I heard of any pipeline planned to service Rosebud or Garfield counties. Unfortunately, Montana is cursed with some enviro extremists who make a hobby out of killing every project associated with oil, gas, or coal. I don't have a problem with environmentalists, but I have a big problem with these fringe groups. They are never satisfied with any fossil fuels project. For an example see efforts to stop the billion dollar Keystone pipeline. So simply based upon the expense of fighting endless lawsuits don't hold your breath waiting for any local pipeline project.

"Gas bubble", maybe? Though there has been renewed interest in the Heath Shale formation for oil. To date the attention has been further west of your interest. Speculation is that it has potential to extend towards your property and then well beyond.

Eastern MT:

Thanks for your input. Always good to hear from a true Montana native. We will continue watching this activity in Roosevelt and hopefully it will increase this year. We have approx. 450 acres in Roosevelt in two Sections so I am very interested in that particular area. Good luck in your area.

Eastern MT said:

Mr. Mallory,

Yes I live in Montana. Unfortunately I don't have an interest in Roosevelt, Sheridan or Richland counties. My nearest are in Daniels Co., MT apx 75 miles to NW of yours (or east into Dakota). So I have not been watching your area. Looking at the map I like the location you described. It should be an excellent area to participate in the Montana portion of the "rockin Bakken". In a general sense there 'seems to be' increased attention on Roosevelt Co, MT, and there has been growth in adjacent Williams Co, ND. So they should be coming your way... from one direction or the other.

Like you I keep an eye on the weekly MT O&G Commission reports. To some degree I suspect drilling is being dictated by how soon the leased acres are coming open. Over in northern Mountrail Co, ND, EOG has had a great track record. They sytematically expanded their production by step out drilling. So I'd feel comfortable having them as your operator. Good luck. If I hear anything specific I will post it for you.

charles s mallory said:

Eastern MT:

Eastern MT said:

Dianne,